• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident 3 months ago and suddenly claim of injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magnolia31

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I got in a car accident with a school bus driver in April of this year. There was no injury to myself or the bus driver. The police officer on the scene took a report from both of us and even told me the guy was okay.There was no damage to the bus, just to my car because the front of it basically slid underneath the back of the school bus.

My insurance company tried contacting the guy for 3 whole weeks and he never bothered responding. Now, 4 months later while I'm living in another state I get a letter from my insurance company stating that the guy now claims he is injured.

How can this suddenly happen and what do I do about it? I can't afford an attorney at this time, am 6 months pregnant and this is just stressing me out.

magnolia31

Your insurance company should take care of this, so you should be OK.
Thank you for your reply - that was fast! LOL

So am I just taking this letter the wrong way then? I'm calling the insurance company first thing tomorrow, but am just not understanding why 4 months later they are even sending me this letter. They told me back in May that the case was closed. I have never dealt with accidents before so I'm really clueless.

Banned_Princess

Your insurance company will handle it. they will know what to do, and represent you if bus driver sues you. Nothing to worry about really.

ecmst12

The SOL for injury claims is 2 years in most states, so that's how long they have to make a claim. Sometimes it takes a few days for injuries to become apparent after an accident, and often people get lawyers, and the lawyers wait until they are ready to make the demand before they notify the insurance company of the claim. It's unlikely that he waited 4 months to go to the doctor.

But, you're insured, so you have nothing to worry about. Any injuries were most likely minor and will be handled within your policy limits even if you have only minimum coverage. Your insurance company is just letting you know what's going on as a courtesy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">