• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yelyah

What is the name of your state? RI
I was travelling the speed limit(40mph) down a road when the car in front of me slowed down, but didn't stop. All of a sudden she slammed on her brakes and I did too, but my car didn't stop and rear ended her and she hit the car in front of her. My car was completely totaled, and hers looked pretty bad, the other car barely had a dent. There was a guy in the car with her who complained about neck pain, and was transported to the hospital. His neck only hurt after finding out that the girl only had her permit. (she was 18. he was 44. also there was a 6 year old in the car) My question is, can the guy sue me because he was "hurt" and I found out later that the girl was driving with an expired permit and no insurance, and I'm also pretty sure there is a law about driving with children in your car and without a licensed driver over the age of 21. Is this going to affect the outcome of the accident in any way or is this a whole separate issue? Oh and another thing, the police report stated that the vehicle was grey, but it was actually gold and grey was the color that came up when he ran the plates...any input on this either?

ecmst12

My question is, can the guy sue me because he was "hurt"
Yes of course he can. The accident was 100% your fault. He will have to prove his injuries before he actually gets any money though.

I found out later that the girl was driving with an expired permit and no insurance, and I'm also pretty sure there is a law about driving with children in your car and without a licensed driver over the age of 21. Is this going to affect the outcome of the accident in any way or is this a whole separate issue?
Completely irrelevant. She'll probably get tickets for her violations, but it doesn't affect the fault determination. The accident was still 100% your fault.

Oh and another thing, the police report stated that the vehicle was grey, but it was actually gold and grey was the color that came up when he ran the plates...any input on this either?
Irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">