• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ss523

What is the name of your state? NY

I was in an accident tonight. I stopped by a stop sign on a side street and when I was clear I started inching across the two way avenue running perpendicular to me. After crossing one lane of traffic I stopped again to ensure that I was clear because the cars were obstructing my view of the other lane. When I was sure that i was clear I crossed the intersection but got hit by c ar that came speeding down the avenue. I was hit in my rear passenger door. How can I prove the other driver at fault?

stephenk

you cant.

you mention cars blocking your view of oncoming traffic and then mention a car speeding down the avenue. did you see the oncoming car before you started your last movement across the lane? if yes, you shouldnt have gone. if no, then you are still at fault for crossing when it wasnt safe.

if the oncoming car did not have to stop for a light or stop sign, they have the right of way.

sorry.

S

ss523

i was already in the intersection and ny state V&T law section 1140 says all vehicles must yield to traffic already in the intersection.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">