• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rafiii

I have a question about how to procede in reaction to an accident I was involved in today. I was the third car in the middle of a 5 car chain reaction accident at an intersection. The cars involved were stopped for traffic when a van hit the last car in line, setting off the accident. The van driver said this was "all his fault." No injuries were reported at the time, and no ambulance came. Information was swapped. My problem is that when I called my insurance company, I found out that my policy was no longer in effect. I have moved out of the state of the policy and have not obtained new registration or insurance in my new state, Maryland. Without insurance company representation, what should I do to try to settle my part in this? In no way was I at fault, but I fear that without representation I will not be able to effectively settle this mattter. Can I collect damages and how?

iggy367

Up the creek WITH a paddle

Definitely you can still collect. The problem is that you need to get your money from the vanguy's company. Assumming he has enough insurance to go around to everybody. You should be able to get a quick response from his company. Get a copy of the police report to confirm his information. You may need to get an attorney if his insurance runs dry to go after him personally for any injuries, rental and repairs. But get your own estimate, from the shop you want to go to, and doctor and stick firm to these numbers. The vanguy's insurance company needs to be directed to your shop or doctor if they have any grievances with the numbers and they can justify everything for you to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">