• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident with bicyclist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

iiiezekieliii

California
About 6 months ago, I had just purchased my car and I was driving it home. I was making a left hand turn in an intersection, the light was green, but the pedestrian control signal was the solid red hand...
I enter the intersection, do the turn, as im pulling away from the crosswalk a bicyclist broadsides my car. He hits his head on my hood.
The front of the car was already coming out of the intersection and my witness says he was riding on the sidewalk without a helmet or reflectors, mind you it was dark outside.
The police and paramedics show up, they check the kid out, they say he is fine, he says he is fine, i offer to take him to the hospital but he refuses.
I am cited for failure to yield, I go to court, pay the fine and declare a "no contest"
The bank had the title so we were not able to register the car with the insurance within 30 days, so they are not covering the damage.
It turns out that the bicyclist wants to sue for damages...
I was also a minor at the time. What can i do? What should I do?
Do I have a chance in court?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

iiiezekieliii said:
California
About 6 months ago, I had just purchased my car and I was driving it home. I was making a left hand turn in an intersection, the light was green, but the pedestrian control signal was the solid red hand...
I enter the intersection, do the turn, as im pulling away from the crosswalk a bicyclist broadsides my car. He hits his head on my hood.
The front of the car was already coming out of the intersection and my witness says he was riding on the sidewalk without a helmet or reflectors, mind you it was dark outside.
The police and paramedics show up, they check the kid out, they say he is fine, he says he is fine, i offer to take him to the hospital but he refuses.
I am cited for failure to yield, I go to court, pay the fine and declare a "no contest"
The bank had the title so we were not able to register the car with the insurance within 30 days, so they are not covering the damage.
It turns out that the bicyclist wants to sue for damages...
I was also a minor at the time. What can i do? What should I do?
Do I have a chance in court?

My response:

You said - -

"The bank had the title so we were not able to register the car with the insurance within 30 days."

Where did you get the idea that you couldn't insure a vehicle without the title in your possession?

You can insure a vehicle the day you take possession as the "registered" owner - - you don't need "the title". And, as you know, it's a violation of law to drive in California without insurance. How do you think "other people" get insurance on their cars when the bank still holds the title?

You should hire an attorney to help you mitigate the eventual damages you'll be paying to the bicyclist; e.g., to perhaps enter into negotiations to work out a fair and equitable settlement.

You may need a bank loan to pay those damages.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">