• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident in Canada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

taxiacci

I live in Washington State, but the accident occurred in Canade. I was in a taxi when the driver of the taxi decided to race with another taxi driver. We hit three cars and as a result I ended up with a fractured acertalum(fractured hip). I was medivaced back to the US for surgery, came home without any support services in place(I thought that the hospital social worker had worked all of this out). Was at home alone with instructions not to keep my body at a 60 degree angle and to not put any weight on my injured hip. (non weight bearing). I had four reactions to pain medication and spent my first weeks calling 911 and being rushed to the emergency room. I tried to call the hospital, social worker etc. continually, but was given the run around concerning help. Just a little background to share my frustration health wise.

I am now concerned as to what I should be expecting from my lawyer. The lawyer was in touch with me on a weekly basis until I signed a contract with him. I have not heard from him since. Instead, I talk with ( I assume) a legal assitant. Is this normal? If so, should I have not been advised of the this? I also feel that I have been lead astray. One of the reasons, I decided to go with this firm is that it was expressed to me that they had knowledge and experience with Canadian law. However, they have retracted several things concerning insurance payment throughout this ordeal and have made comments concerning lack of Canadian law. An example: I was told to go ahead and hire home care for either my insurance or the Canadian insurance would cover this expense. I am finding that this may not be entirely sure and that I may be stuck with a large bill, but I keep hearing don't worry. There is a charge on my credit card for this service and I am worried. I am also geting mixed messages on several other services. I spend all my time trying to sort out medical and health services. Isn't this part of the legal services?

What at this point should my lawyers be doing for me? I am trying to get well, and I find myself doing most of the work and correspondence concerning benefits, disability, home care etc.

I am being told that Canadian law is much different than ours and that a fairly large settlement is not likely. Do you have any experience in this area. I have been out of work for three months, have experienced unbelievable pain and suffering, and have basically struggled to fined ways to get prescriptions, meals, groceries and a way to rehab. In fact, rehab has not happened due to lack of transportation.

I am also being told that I have to repay my health insurance company if there is a settlement. What info do you have in regards to this. It is my understanding that I have to pay my lawyers one-third of the settlement prior to any pay backs to the insurance company.

Perhaps my lawyer is doing what is supposed to be done, but it sure seems that I am bearing the paper burden and am not receiving the health services, equipment, and support that I need to heal and to get back to work.

I would appreciate your thoughts on what I should expect from my lawyer and how I will know that I am getting excellent representation.

One other thought. I received a letter from my lawyer saying that there may be criminal charges brought against the taxi driver and would I be willing to go to testify. It was also stated that he thought (legal assistant) that it would be in my best interest to do so. When I contacted him, he said that it probably would not make much difference and to not worry about it. This statement was made only when I asked to be accompanied by them. The next day I was contacted by a Canadian constable who encouraged me to testify due to the fact that it would have great bearing on my case financially.

My lawyer has taken care of a number of important items, but there is just a little feeling inside that tells me that some things are not being attended to and that this entire ordeal has been more difficult for me than has been necessary.

I will appreciate your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">