• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident caused minor injury-police action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

consumer

I am asking this question for a friend. A young man that works with me on a temporary night job. He is only 18 years old and very scared because he recently got into what could be a very serious problem.

He was driving his car(state of Massacusetts)and trying to adjust his manuel shifter on the floor(a loose screw)he was not paying attention(young and irresponsible)however he was driving at a slow rate of speed and had his foot on the brake. He looked up and there is a girl in the pedestrian cross walk in front of him. He stops his car(so he says)looks at her(she does not appear hurt)apparently he nervously laughs(driving with a passenger)as he realizes that he has stopped short of hitting her. He thinks she is unharmed so he keeps on going. At this point(pulling away from her) he apparently makes contact(he is not aware of this at the time)with her arm as he hits her arm with his side view mirror(so she claims)The girl contacts police after the incident(she got his license number)Police call him at home and tell him to go to police station. He goes
to police station with the passenger that was in his car. He
tells his story to police. The girl made a statement to police that she was not serious injured and was ok. Police charge the boy with the following. Failure to stop at an occupied pedistrian crosswalk-Driving to endanger and leaving the scene of an accident. The boy has no prior record of any kind not even a parking ticket. What is likely to happen to him in court? If he is fined for each violation how much would one expect the fines to be? Does he need a lawyer to represent him in court? Do you think his license will be suspended? He is a college student and needs his car to get to school. He is a good kid just young. He is afraid to get his parents involved. He asked me for advice and I told him I would advise him to get a lawyer and to tell his parents!I also told him I would ask on this format. Thanks for any advice you can give that I may pass on to him.

[email protected]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Being young and scared when I had a major accident -- very hard, because one doesn't know what will happen.

Okay,
1. Failure to stop at occupied pedestrian crosswalk
http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/90-14.htm
http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/90-18A.htm

2. Driving to endanger
http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/gl-90-toc.htm

3. Leaving the scene of an accident.
http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/90f-9.htm

Now remember, these are criminal violations. The girl could sue him, as well.

Yes he should get a lawyer: contact the Massachusetts state bar association and ask for lawyer referral or try attorneypages.com

C

consumer

To Law rat

To Law rat,

Thanks very much for your quick response as this young man is worrying a great deal over this situation and will not ask his parents for help. I can see by your response that these points of law can be quite extensive in their interruption. I will encourage the boy to get a decent lawyer and also to seek his parents help. I do not feel that the girl will go to a civil action as she made a statement to police that she was not hurt so I think she would have a problem if she now said that she was hurt. I think basically she was offended because she thought that he was laughing at her and took the incident lightly(which was not the case) so she reported it to the police.Apparently she is also young and has no awareness of the damage she will cause in this young man's life. I feel he could certainly learn to be more responsible but this is a bit too severe a way to learn. I hope I have been some help to him as he is resistent to talk to his parents. I will forward all the information you gave me to him. Feel good that you have in some way helped out this young man and have a very Merry Christmas and may God Bless you so that you may always use your knowledge to help others and never use it to protect the guilty.

Thanks Again
HDLady

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">