• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident caused by non licensed/non insured driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TNBSMommy

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

A friend of mine was in an accident, involving a lady who was driving on a suspended license, had no insurance, and fled the scene. A witness chased down the other driver and she was eventually stopped in relation to the accident. She was not arrested, and the only charge against her was "Failure to Yield". This lady ran into the side of my friend's car. My friend's car was totaled. Out of curiosity, does this sound like standard procedure? And is there any legal recourse for my friend.
Thanks alot in advance.

JETX

Yep, your friend has two options:
1) Turn this accident in on his/her insurance and his/her 'uninsured motorist' coverage should take care of him/her. Granted, he/she will have to pay the deductible, but it will be less than the total loss... also, if the insurance company collects from the other driver, the deductible will be refunded.
2) Your friend can sue the other driver personally for his/her damages.

TNBSMommy

Thank you for the reply, Halket. I know she contacted her insurance company. I will pass on the information to her. I was also curious if anyone knew how they could just let this other driver just walk away after causing the accident, driving on a suspended license(for DUI apparently) and leaving the seen of the accident. Also if I am not mistaken, it is now required in this state to carry insurance on you vehical, which she also did not have.

Thanks again.

G

gandhamhk

Auto Accident

State Name - TEXAS

Hi, last year I rented a car on my credit card, at that time I didn't had the drivers licence but I had Learner permit from NY state. My colleague( he is has got valid license) drove the rented car and we met with an accident ( we hit a deer on the way). The car was totally damaged. We haven't taken LDW (Loss damage waver) nor we included my colleague as additional driver. Now the rental car company tells me that I am totally liable for the loss (around $19000). my colleague who drove the car is no longer working with us. Right now whats my position.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you

racer72

gandhamhk

Please start your own thread. You will not get a response piggy backing on someone else's thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">