• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frsrh

I live in the state of Michigan

This is kind of a mixed question, ok there is a car lease with my ex-gf as main signer and my mother as secondary. The insurance was in my mothers name tho my g/f not listed as a driver, she got in an accident about 3 weeks ago (ex-gf) and still hasnt given me the paperwork, I want to cancel the insurance out of my mothers name but my g/f told me if she turns the car in how it is(another two years) my mother can be held responsible since the insurance was in her name and the accident not claimed, but she wont get the paper work to make the claim and I dont want to help her with insurance anymore after a few things she has done to me.

Can anyone tell me how much reality there is to this or if she is bluffing. Thanks for any help.

teflon_jones

Your ex is correct, your mother would be equally liable to pay whatever the cost of the damages is on the car. Since your ex is not listed as a driver, the insurance policy won't cover her. You can submit the claim to your mother's insurance and lie and say that your ex is only an occassional driver, in which case she should be covered (assuming your policy allows for this, as most do). How old is your ex? This may factor into any claim too (some policies stipulate that nobody under XX age can drive the car). But all that being said, this is fraud and I don't recommend it. You can take your ex to court to recover the cost of repairs, but your mother is negligent in this because she's allowing an un-insured person to drive the car, so she accepted responsibility for what might happen by allowing this.

You can cancel the insurance on the car and still put in a claim on the accident. But then you're left with an un-insured car, and since your mother's name is still with it, she would be liable if anything happened.

How much will it cost to have the car repaired? Can you get your ex to re-lease the vehicle with a new company (some leasing companies allow this)? Or buy it out with a loan? Either of these options would remove your mother's name from being associated with the car, and then it becomes your ex's problem to deal with this. I'm assuming this was a single vehicle accident, by the way, with no other parties involved in it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">