• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident in Company Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ranger99

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I work for an auto dealer and after a particular bad snow storm I was tasked to move cars from the show lot and the customer parking/maintenance lot. This entails moving the cars across a busy two lane street. While moving one of the cars I was waiting at the end of the lot entrance to drive across the street when I thought the time was right I gave it gas but the wheels spun due to the conditions and I didn't get the jump I though I would. I was hit in the back rear by a van coming down the street. I was give a ticket by the cop on the scene and was taken to the hosp for xrays and minor injurys. The other driver was not injured (at that time) The dealer agreeed to fix the van and that was supposed to be the end of it. (I lost my job) Apparently the dealer didn't due the other driver justice and now he is suing thew dealer and sent me a paper asking for my policy (I do not have my own I am on my father's) Can I be liable for damages and if so what are my options. My father never reported the accident to the insr co. because he felt if I was on company time and in there car and doing whayt I was tasked to do it would be the dealer's umbrellar coverage the handles the situation

LK.

Yes, it is possible that you can be held responsible. You were the one driving the car. The fact that you were driving someone else's car does not absolve you of your legal obligation to drive responsibly, especially at a car dealership where nearly all employees are tasked with driving cars at some point. A notable exception would be if you were under the age of 18 when the accident occured, if so, it would have been illegal for the dealership to ask you to drive the car.

What your father "feels" is likely to have little impact on this matter unless his interests are respresented properly. Call the insurance company immediately and consider discussing the matter with a qualified attorney in your state. Forward any written agreement the dealership made with you regarding the accident, if you have any.

BelizeBreeze

You were on the clock, therefore, an agent of the car lot. Unless the owner of the lot can prove negligence or that you acted outside the scope of your employment, the car lot's insurance is responsible.

In any event, tell your father to contact his insurance carrier and give them full details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">