• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident on a county road

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamaj

I live in a very rural area. My occupation is school bus driver.
Recently As I was traveling on one of my regular roads in the school bus, I came up a slight hill, around a curve and incountered an F150 pickup. We both braked and I pulled over as much as I could in the bus, however, we still impacted. On the pickups side of the road was a 5' tall embankment, on my side a mailbox, driveway, then a 2' or so embankment and trees. My right wheel actually stopped 3' off the road proper. The road measures 13' across. A school bus is 8 to 8 1/2' wide. The impact was almost headlight to headlight, with more damage on the pickup. His rear wheel bounced up into the imbankment.
I have been driving buses for over 12 years, and you just cannot do any sudden moves in one, it just doesnt happen. I dont think either of us were driving over 25 mph. The problem is, the DPS officer that came out (outside of city limits, of course) ticketed me for failure to yeild half the roadway and failure to take evasive action. (like what? pull into the trees?)
Well, if my right wheel was 16' from the far edge of a 13' road what gives there?
I have plead not guilty to the ticket, only to find out that I have to have a "trial" now. I have never had a ticket like this, in fact, only had one or two in my whole life, so I just dont know what to expect. Being that I have a CDL license and the other driver doesnt, in fact he was an older man in his 70's, I think I am unjustly getting the brunt of this. Any thoughts on the legalities of this? Think I need a lawyer?
I have not worked since the accident, have not been fired either. Just told not to come back until they tell me. Docked for my pay too...
I am real confused on this one.
Hope someone has some insight.
Thnx in advance.

seniorjudge

mamaj said:
I live in a very rural area. My occupation is school bus driver.
Recently As I was traveling on one of my regular roads in the school bus, I came up a slight hill, around a curve and incountered an F150 pickup. We both braked and I pulled over as much as I could in the bus, however, we still impacted. On the pickups side of the road was a 5' tall embankment, on my side a mailbox, driveway, then a 2' or so embankment and trees. My right wheel actually stopped 3' off the road proper. The road measures 13' across. A school bus is 8 to 8 1/2' wide. The impact was almost headlight to headlight, with more damage on the pickup. His rear wheel bounced up into the imbankment.
I have been driving buses for over 12 years, and you just cannot do any sudden moves in one, it just doesnt happen. I dont think either of us were driving over 25 mph. The problem is, the DPS officer that came out (outside of city limits, of course) ticketed me for failure to yeild half the roadway and failure to take evasive action. (like what? pull into the trees?)
Well, if my right wheel was 16' from the far edge of a 13' road what gives there?
I have plead not guilty to the ticket, only to find out that I have to have a "trial" now. I have never had a ticket like this, in fact, only had one or two in my whole life, so I just dont know what to expect. Being that I have a CDL license and the other driver doesnt, in fact he was an older man in his 70's, I think I am unjustly getting the brunt of this. Any thoughts on the legalities of this? Think I need a lawyer?
I have not worked since the accident, have not been fired either. Just told not to come back until they tell me. Docked for my pay too...
I am real confused on this one.
Hope someone has some insight.
Thnx in advance.

Q: Think I need a lawyer?

A: I know you need a lawyer...that is, if that CDL means anything to you.

mamaj

*sigh* That is almost depressing. Yep, I need my license, and more than that, I dont want a black mark on a perfect record just because the officer was mistaken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">