• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident damage misappraised

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BobG80918

What is the name of your state? CO

My son's Mercury Mountaineer was broadsided in a parking lot by a car backing out of their parking spot. In an initial inspection in the dark, the only visible evidence was paint from the other car on the Mercury's rear door, with the paint rubbing off easily and leaving no other visible marks. However, after the accident, the car vibrates when braking, leading me to believe most of the impact was taken by the tire.

The vehicle was inspected by an appraiser paid for by the other driver's insurance company 6 days after the accident. His appraisal was that there was $300 pre-existing damage to the tire and structure prior to the accident and no damage from the accident.

This is definitely incorrect, as the car did not vibrate prior to the accident.

Seeing as how the insurance I have on the vehicle has a $500 deductible, I'm not all that optimistic about my own insurance company going after the other very aggressively.

Edit: The fact that the other driver's insurance company is ranked 64th out of 66 in Connecticutt isn't that encouraging, either (just searching to see if other people have had problems with this company).

What's the best course of action to take at this point?

Last edited:

ecmst12

File a collision claim with your insurance company and have them do their own appraisal. Even if it still turns out to be under your deductible, you'll have something to fight the other company with.

BobG80918

File a collision claim with your insurance company and have them do their own appraisal. Even if it still turns out to be under your deductible, you'll have something to fight the other company with.
Thanks. That mirrors other advice I've received, as I was a little concerned about paying up to $200 (upper range, but possible) for an independent appraisal. Even if below the deductible, at least I get a second appraisal.

I also requested the report/notes of the original appraisal. I'm curious how he determined the damaged was prior unrelated damage of $300 five days after the accident (especially considering the vehicle did not vibrate before the accident and the tires were replaced less than two months before the accident). While I don't normally drive the vehicle on a daily or even weekly basis, there wasn't much chance for prior damage to occur before the accident.

ecmst12

You seem to misunderstand. YOU do not pay for an appraisal done by your insurance company. It is not part of your deductible. Your insurance company pays for it as "cost of doing business." If they use one of their own staff appraisers, they don't even have to pay for it, just the appraiser's salary. Your deductible only applys to the actual repair cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">