• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident on dealer test drive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nic3452

Hello All,

First off, this happened in Chicago, IL Oct 5th. I went to test drive a car at a local dealership. Got into the car and as pulling it out as directed by the salesman I scratched/dented the RF fender on the concrete at the bottom of a lamp pole. The car was in the sales lot. The guys at the dealer tried to push me into buying the car based on this event. I decided not too and asked them if they wanted to file a police report, they didn’t so I left. They called me back a few hours later and told me I would have to come back to file a police report. I went back promptly but they didn’t want to file a report again, they wanted to talk more about me buying the car so I left, went home, and filed a claim with Allstate. (at this point I wasn’t sure if they were serious about making me pay for the damage) Now today, Oct. 18th they are calling me asking if I can come in and file a police report. I called Allstate and they said that’s up to me if I want to file a police report or not. Allstate also said they have not had any contact with the dealer or their insurance company since the day of the accident. They are still waiting for the dealer’s insurance company to call them.

My question is should I go back in to the dealership to file a police report 2 weeks after the accident? It feels shady to me.

Thanks for your input.

ecmst12

You don't have to file a police report. If the dealership wants you to pay for the damage, they can contact your insurance, as you have already reported the accident to them. You'll have to pay your deductible, if they decide to proceed with the claim.

Nic3452

Hey,

Thanks for the input.

Why would they want me to file a police report so bad almost 2 weeks later though?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And why would his insurance cover him in a car that he did not purchase and did not own at the time?

ecmst12

I'm not 100% certain, but I would expect them to treat a test-drive car the same as they would treat a rental car. But, if he wasn't going to be covered for it, then I would DEFINITELY expect that his claims adjuster would have told him so after he filed the claim.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not 100% certain, but I would expect them to treat a test-drive car the same as they would treat a rental car. But, if he wasn't going to be covered for it, then I would DEFINITELY expect that his claims adjuster would have told him so after he filed the claim.
Sounds fair to me.

DRTDEVL

It also depends on the coverage he has...

I have a rider on my policy to cover me in the event something happens driving another person's/entity's vehicle. I drive a lot for work, so I really don't want the government (my employer) garnishing my wages for a while when I could pay a $500 deductible and be on my way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">