• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident due to ice in tx, got citation please advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

User0225

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was driving on the highway at night. I was around 40 when the speed limit was 55. The road had black ice and it was snowing a bit. Suddenly I saw a truck perpendicular to me in the lane I was driving. My first reaction was that the truck was corssing the road. Then I realized that it was stuck.(Its headlights were on but the hazard lights were not) The truck was actually coming from the other side and had fallen in the ditch and the guy was trying to remove it. I immidiately slammed the breakes and tried to move to the adjoining right lane but I had lost control becos of the ice.(no past experience of driving in ice) My car went and hit the front of the truck(The truck was almost half way in my lane but luckily the two collided at the edge and no body was injured). My car had to be towed as it was damaged over the wheel. I was give a citation "Fail to control speed". I just got the police report and the report reads as if it was totally my fault. The other person was not given any citation not even a warning.(the cop i guess did not even bother to enquire how he ended up in the ditch in the first place) Do you guys think the citation is justfied? Should I fight it? Shouldnt weather be considered a major factor as people are not used to driving in ice in texas. Also I was much below the speed limit, should I not be given some slack because of that? How do you think my insurance companies are going to treat this?
This is my first citation ever. I would really appriciate your advice.

rmet4nzkx

Fact is, you hit the truck, you were not able to control your vehicle under the conditions, which may mean driving very slow. While it may be true, that ice isn't common in Texas, that doesn't mean that yu have special license to drive fast. When you saw the truck that was a clue to slow down. Go to court, plead your case and perhaps the judge will have mercy on you. Then take a defensive driving course and learn how to drive under extreme weather conditions.

teflon_jones

The accident is entirely your fault. Regardless of the speed limit, you were driving too fast to control your vehicle with the road conditions as they were.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">