• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident during blackout - Need help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

andy2812

What is the name of your state? NY

On the day of the blackout last week (Thursday) I had a car accident when the traffic lights went out and I am having trouble finding the responsible party. The accident took place in Queens NY. The other driver had a NY license, but the car he was driving had New Jersey used car dealer plates. I had made a left turn at an intersection but was temporarily blocked from going all the way through the intersection. This left the left side of my car perpendicular to the rear of a car that had already gone thru the intersection from the other direction. The other car was stuck in traffic due to the gridlock at the next intersection and decided to back up. The rear of his car hit my left front fender between the front wheel and the front drivers door. The damage to my car is about $800, but there was no damage to his car. We exchanged information but the other guy didn't have an insurance card. In addition to his drivers license, he showed me a registration card for the car dealer which also had the license plate number on it and said that this was all he had. Due to the blackout, it would have been next to impossible to find a cop to make a police report, so I just took his information and left. He also gave me his business card and said that I should call him.

I tried to call the other driver the following Monday to see about getting reimbursed for the damage to my car after he backed into me. The person who answered the phone claimed that the other driver had gone to London on Saturday as that was where he was originally from. I then called the auto dealer and they denied ever knowing the driver or having the type of car involved in the accident. When I asked him if the license plate was his, he got very nasty and accused me a trying to scam him. Although I forgot about it when I called the dealer, I had used a disposable camera after the accident and took a picture of the back of the car with the license plate on it. I then called back the number on the business card of the other driver and was told that he would get in touch with the driver and have him call me. I called again today (Tuesday) and was told that the driver would call me, but I'm not holding my breath.

I guess my next step is to file a police report, but I want to know what I can do to get paid for my repairs. Should I again try to call the dealer and let him know about the picture and see if he changes his tune. If I go through my insurance company, I have a $500 deductible so I won't get much from them. I also recently had an accident so I'm worried that this could effect my insurance in a negative way, although this accident probably isn't consider chargable because the damage is less than $1,000. If this car was uninsured since he didn't produce an insurancecard, can I use the uninsured motorist coverage to get paid for the full cost of the damages, and will this hurt my insurance record if the accident wasn't my fault. Thanks for any assistance you can give

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">