• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident in ex spouses car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

val_01

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My ex-husband had me drive his Jeep Liberty during the time I had my car in the shop for repairs. He knew I was not covered under his policy but allowed it anyways.

While backing out of my driveway, i hit his car that had no insurance on it when I didn't see it in the blind spot. Upset I immediately went into the house and call him about it.

He asked if I was ok..and said "Val, don't worry about it, it is just a car." I called him several times apologizing for the accident and he told me not to worry. this accident occurred in March 2002.

Now he is seeking revenge for me not getting back with him by filing a suit against me for that accident. Can I be held liable? I have a witness to what was said...my older son.

stephenk

Is he only suing you for the property damage to the Jeep and the car you hit? If yes, then you will be held liable for the damage since you caused the damage.

Did you have auto insurance on your own car when you were driving your ex's Jeep? If yes, inform your carrier that you are being sued by the ex and give them whatever legal documents you have been served with ASAP.

If no insurance, you will need to respond to the suit, dont let it go into default! Then try and work out an agreement with the other side regarding payment for the damage.

tammy8

Was the car insured in NC? In NC insurance follows the vehicle and as long as you were given permission to drive the vehicle 99% of companies will cover the accident. Sounds like he didn't have insurance on the vehicle. I believe that if you are "sued" it can be for the deductible and then the insurance company can choose to sue you or your insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">