• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident and expired insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usfemail

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Oklahoma
My daughter turned 16 on October 16th and obtained her license on October 28th, 2005. Her car, given to her by her sister, was insured by Geico by us in October. Due to an error, (I'm sure on my part) her insurance expired on November 28th, 2005. She had an accident tonight, and thank God she is alright and so is the other driver, I have just discovered we have no insurance and I know she is at fault because she received a ticket for failure to yield from private drive. She was pulling onto the highway from a convenience store and was struck in the rear left side by a new suburban. Her car is a 1993 Nissan Maxima and we only carried liability. She was driving by herself and has a Graduated license. This happened at 8:00 PM so she wasn't illegal in the time frame of driving but then there's the insurance. The driver of the other vehicle was not hurt but stated that he had just been released from the hospital with neck surgery so I don't know how he will be tomorrow. (Don't figure he should have been driving either. ) My questions are, what will happen with a graduated license and is she allowed to drive? The big question...what do we need to do about this situation with the insurance? I'm so upset because I've never had anything like this happen before. I'm at a standstill wondering if I should go ahead and renew it first thing in the morning or what? The car is not drivable right now so it won't be going anywhere. Will it need insurance anyway now? What do I say...Please advise.. Thanks

S

shell007

My questions are, what will happen with a graduated license and is she allowed to drive? The big question...what do we need to do about this situation with the insurance? I'm so upset because I've never had anything like this happen before. I'm at a standstill wondering if I should go ahead and renew it first thing in the morning or what? The car is not drivable right now so it won't be going anywhere. Will it need insurance anyway now? What do I say...Please advise.. Thanks
A: Renewing insurance first thing in the morning will not do you any good with this evening's accident. The past has passed!

A #2: You need insurance on any car that you or daughter or anyone else is/will be driving.

Question: Part of your post states that there is no insurance. Another part of your post states that there was liability insurance. Please clarify...was the vehicle that she was driving this evening when she had the accident insured or not?

Bumping Uglies

usfemail said:
My daughter turned 16 on October 16th and obtained her license on October 28th, 2005. Her car, given to her by her sister, was insured by Geico by us in October. Due to an error, (I'm sure on my part) her insurance expired on November 28th, 2005. She had an accident tonight, and thank God she is alright and so is the other driver, I have just discovered we have no insurance and I know she is at fault because she received a ticket for failure to yield from private drive. She was pulling onto the highway from a convenience store and was struck in the rear left side by a new suburban. Her car is a 1993 Nissan Maxima and we only carried liability. She was driving by herself and has a Graduated license. This happened at 8:00 PM so she wasn't illegal in the time frame of driving but then there's the insurance. The driver of the other vehicle was not hurt but stated that he had just been released from the hospital with neck surgery so I don't know how he will be tomorrow. (Don't figure he should have been driving either. ) My questions are, what will happen with a graduated license and is she allowed to drive? The big question...what do we need to do about this situation with the insurance? I'm so upset because I've never had anything like this happen before. I'm at a standstill wondering if I should go ahead and renew it first thing in the morning or what? The car is not drivable right now so it won't be going anywhere. Will it need insurance anyway now? What do I say...Please advise.. Thanks

Let's see . . . Hmmmm . . . You're concerned about your daughter's driver's license when she caused an accident . . . She had no insurance, and injured an "eggshell" Plaintiff, and also caused thousands of dollars in property damages . . . but, you're concerned about her driver's license.

You're just a little bit whacky, aren't you.

Let me give you a hint - - your daughter's driver's license is going to be the least of yours, and her, problems - - okay? She's definitely screwed and, if that car is in your name, then so are you.

Good luck, 'cause you're going to need it. How much is your house worth?

S

shell007

Bumping Uglies:

Your post sounds a bit familiar! Do I know you? :confused:

A yes or no will be fine!

Bumping Uglies

shellandty said:
Bumping Uglies:

Your post sounds a bit familiar! Do I know you? :confused:

A yes or no will be fine!

Yes. But I can never just give a yes or no. I'm your long lost father who never paid child support to your mother!

Look in the upper right corner of my response!

Happy Trails

usfemail said:
In addition to what the other's have said. If it is found out that you didn't have insurance that was current, she could get fined not more than $500 and/or not more than 6 months in jail.

Your insurance company is out of the picture for this accident.

S

shell007

In addition to what the other have said. If it is found out that you didn't have insurance that was current, she could get fined not more than $500 and/or not more than 6 months in jail.
OUCH! :( That hurt!

Bumping Uglies

shellandty said:

I just love stories like our writer's. It's only half the truth. She said, "Due to an error, (I'm sure on my part) her insurance expired on November 28th, 2005."

First of all, Geico doesn't sell "one month" policies. Second, it wasn't a "mistake" - - it was the fact that something in her daughter's past caused Geico to cancel the "binder." Not because of a mistake, but because of a lie, like Momma tried to pull a fast one, and hoping that Geico wouldn't catch it.

JETX

usfemail said:
My questions are, what will happen with a graduated license
Based on the Oklahoma DMV site: If the accident involves fatalities, injuries or property damage in excess of $300.00 AND if it is determined that owner and/or operator of vehicles involved in collisions are not in compliance with financial responsibility statutes, driver license suspension and vehicle registration revocation proceedings are initiated.

and is she allowed to drive?
Unless/until her driving priviledge is revoked, yes.

The big question...what do we need to do about this situation with the insurance?
There is nothing you can do about what has already occurred. You or her will have to pay for any damages or injuries out of your own pocket. She will also have to face the consequences of failing to comply with your states financial responsibility laws.

I'm at a standstill wondering if I should go ahead and renew it first thing in the morning or what?
Getting insurance AFTER the accident won't do anything to protect you from the accident loss.

usfemail

usfemail said:
Found out this morning that all is well anyway. Our insurance was in effect as I paid 2 months at the beginning of the policy and then it's monthly thereafter. Love the Gecko....

Happy Trails

usfemail said:
Found out this morning that all is well anyway. Our insurance was in effect as I paid 2 months at the beginning of the policy and then it's monthly thereafter. Love the Gecko....
Then why did you think it had lapsed?

Anyway I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm sure you have a better understanding on the importance of having insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">