• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lvfnchs

What is the name of your state? CT

On June 6 of this year, an ex-friend of mine informed me that I hit his car on the way out of my driveway the previous evening. I do not think that I hit the car. He said that the bumper and headlight are broken. I told him that I didn't think I had hit his car and he was insistant that I had. There is no mark on my vehicle that I can see. I told him to find out what it would cost and let me know, as we were still friends at the time and I wanted to do the right thing.

Two weeks ago, he was at my house again visiting the co-owner of the house. He left an estimate on my couch with my name on it - no note or anything. I haven't responded.

I'm wondering if there is any way he can claim that I hit his car legally - has it been too long already? Does he have a valid claim and what are his options? I have chosen to ignore the estimate that was left so rudely on my couch.

Thank you very much.

lvfnchs

Hello -

I'm sorry if the above post was not clear. I am concered that the other party may try to sue me or something for the damages they say I incurred. Can they still do that, or has it been too long? Wouldn't they have had to report it right away? Thank you.

spawn_x

no it has not been too long.

Are there really signs of damage on your vehicle? If not - take a picture of all the sides in detail and keep them in case he wants to take you to court - you can use those to defend yourself.

lvfnchs

There aren't really signs of damage - there's a small dent on the front bumper but that was there when I bought the truck. There is a little scrape mark on the front right bumper, but that happened at work when I didn't stop in time to miss the wall months ago. (oops)

If I take a picture the scrape mark may show, and then the other party may claim the scrape came when I hit his car - but I NEVER hit his car! I would know, right? Is there anything else I can do?

I will take the pictures. If I had hit the car I'd be happy to pay for damages. I don't know why they don't just call their insurance company and tell them that a car hit them in a parking lot somewhere- that's probably what actually happened anyway and that's what insurance is there for. I think they just want to make things difficult for me financially, as they are friends with my ex who I'm doing a partition action against. Looks like they may be able to do that, unless there's something else I can do to protect myself. How long before it's too long? Thanks again.

spawn_x

go take pictures of the car that was allegidly (sp??) hit and measure the height and what not to see if it matches.

lvfnchs

I never talk to him. If I do see him or his car I'll take the pictures of his car too. Thanks for the advice. I hope he doesn't try to mess with me further but I have a feeling he will. If I see his car I'll try to get pics of the damage if there is any. I'll try to do it in secret so it doesn't remind him or spark a conversation.

spawn_x

don't "i'll try and take pictures IF i see the car".

Go over there with a camera and take pictures. If you see him - who cares? Continue taking pictures. Hell, put a ruler up to it too to measure the height of the damaged area.

You have to do your homework, if you don't - you'll get screwed in court.

stephenk

how drunk or high were you when your friend claims you hit his car? You dont "think" you did the damage?

If he claims you broke a headlight and tore up his bumper, I would sure remember doing that to a car.

lvfnchs

Hello StephenK,

I was not drunk or high when he claims I hit his car. I was backing out of my driveway. I didn't hit his car.

A little history since you seem confused.

When I returned home (to NY from CO) with my now exboyfriend, the two of them became friends. Since then, my ex has become abusive and has created a whole smear campaign against me. Of all of my friends, this person is the only one who believes my ex about all the stories and lies he's telling.

This 'friend' is now under the impression that I have 'screwed' my ex, so he is trying to get back at me (I think) by saying I hit his car and getting me to pay him over 1000 for damages.

This 'friend' parked outside my driveway one night right before I was about to leave. I backed out of my driveway and drove away. The next day, he calls me at work and says I hit his car. I think it more likely got hit when he was at the mall earlier that day. I don't know why he's saying I hit it other than the reason I just gave. But I was sober when I left my driveway, and I didn't hit his car. I say I don't think I hit it to give this person the benefit of the doubt.

I will do the picture-taking and measurements that spawn x has suggested. The marks should not line up and if they do it's coincidence. It must have been quite a hit for his headlight to be so damaged and have all the scratches around it, and I'm sure I would have felt or heard it.

stephenk

I am not confused at all.

If you know you didnt hit his car, why give him the benefit of the doubt? Your initial post was that you weren't sure if you did or didnt hit his car.

also note the color of the scratches on his car. if they are not the same color of your car you are off the hook.

D

DogToenails

Maybe someone else can answer this, but how the heck can the guy sue her without a police report??? If he'd have called the police, they would've been over to investigate her car. I actually CAUGHT a guy hitting my car in a parking lot. As he backed out, his car bumper slowing ran against my door. It left a huge deep crease, but didn't take paint off. It didn't damage his car. I walking out and saw it happen. I called the police and they took a report on the damage. He then tracked down the car w/ the license # I gave him after chasing the guy down (he know I was chasing him, but I caught up enough to get the number). Anyway, the police officer said since none of my paint was on his car nor any damage on it, there was nothing he could do for he. The guy you're talking about here didn't even call the police, did he? If not it seems he not only screwed himself out of sueing you, but also of getting his insurance to cover it.

Am I wrong?

Last edited:

lvfnchs

Thanks for the replies. I was also hoping that he would have needed to file a police report in order to be able to do anything. He hasn't come to the house in days, so I haven't been able to check out his car. I took pictures of my car this past weekend.

I give him the benefit of the doubt because we've been friends (or so I thought) for about 12 years. It is hard to swallow that he's resorted to lying about my hitting his car just to mess with me since he believes my ex's lies about me.

It seems to be the case, as there isn't really anything on my car that shows I hit him. I leave the driveway at around 1mph so it's hard to believe that even if I were drunk that much damage could be done.

Hopefully he will just not pursue anything. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">