• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident at a Gas Station - insurance vs self-pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TrojanSDer

Accident at a Gas Station

What is the name of your state? California

I started driving while the nozzal of the gas station's pump was still in the car. Of course, the result was that the pipe came out of it's assembly. I offered the staff at the pump to fix it (it seemed simple enough to do) but he said, I can't. He took down my License plate number and I volunteered my phone number.

Now, the owner says it costed him around $300 to get the job done by a certified engineer (almost all of it in labor). I don't feel he's trying to rip me or anything but he did get some "expedited" service done by a hi-fi guy since he assumed I'd pay.

Being a student I'll be hard pressed to pay this much. Should I offer him something around $200 and ask him if he wants he can file a claim with the insurance company and get his money after 3 months or take what I'm offering? I really feel he could have saved me money, especially since I was being cooperative. Had I just taken off, he'd be paying for the whole thing himself. Any suggestions, please?

Last edited:

TrojanSDer

EDIT: No one's responding, so I figured I'll edit my OP and make my question more reasonable/answerable.

If my gas stations files a claim with the insurance company:

1. How will my insurance company evaluate his claim, since its not a typical "car" accident?

2. Will it appear on my driving record as any other accident and hurt my history tremendously (i don't have anything bad on it yet).

3. Is it legal to resolve a claim without involving the insurance agency?

nanaII

Legalities

Yes, it is legal to handle a claim personally, rather than through your insurance company. People do it all of the time.

Secondly, I would avoid making any claims, if at all possible against your insurance company, if it is not going to be reimbursed (for instance, if someone hit you and it was their fault). Your insurance company can either cancel you, or raise your rates. I've lived in my home for over 15 years. A little over two years ago I made my first claim on my homeowner's insurance for $3K worth of stereo equipment stolen out of son's truck. My insurance company cancelled me. Do not make any claims on your insurance unless you absolutely have to.

What is your deductible?

stephenk

Pay the man his $300. Borrow from family and/or friends. Take a cash advance on a credit card. The gas station shouldn't have to face a loss because of your negligence.

Since he already paid for the repairs he can just sue you in small claims court. Then you can pay for the gas nozzle, his court fees and interest.

If he decides to make a claim with your carrier it will result in an increase in your premiums that will be far more than $300.

teflon_jones

Pay him the $300. It sounds like he's being very reasonable with you. Your deductible is probably above this anyway, so your insurance won't cover it regardless. I bet he'll let you pay him with a credit card, or if not, ask to borrow the money from your family. You made a simple mistake, so take the easiest solution: just pay it and move on.

TrojanSDer

Thank you all.

Yes, I think I just needed a dose of morality, which you guys provided adequatly. I've not been sleeping well just thinking that I'm not being bold enough to take responsibility for what I did and pay for my mistake right away, rather than trying to abuse the system.

In all fairness, I never really thought I wouldn't pay him his due. But when you make less than half the federal low income guidline amount, and have a family to support, AND you do something as stupid as what I did, you just kick yourself and say, damn I wish I could use some mercy here. That guys makes more in a day than I do probably in a month.

But, I suppose, that's what moral courage is all about. Thanks. I'm happy to be a message of this forum. :D

You Are Guilty

I do a lot of work for a large oil/gas company, a small percentage of which is securing payment from/filing suits against people who drive away with the nozzle still in their tank (it's really not as rare as you would hope).

Here in NYC, the re-attachment cost, after all is said and done, is usually over $1,000. So $300 is more than reasonable.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And dude - next time TURN OFF THE IGNITION before gassing up. I suppose it's people like you that the people of NJ can thank for not being allowed to pump our own gas.

TrojanSDer

Stealth,
Where did the ignition come into play? I'm happy to note that your supposition is entirely flawed :) It is your law-makers in NJ, so thank them.

I'm glad I'm no where near NJ! :D

stealth2 said:
And dude - next time TURN OFF THE IGNITION before gassing up. I suppose it's people like you that the people of NJ can thank for not being allowed to pump our own gas.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Let's see.... most NORMAL people (where you can pump your own gas) pull up to a pump, and turn off the ignition. Then they get out, pump their gas, remove the nozzle, pay, and then start the car and drive away. So what you're saying is that you're a total dumbass and it never occured to you between putting the nozzle IN the car, paying, getting back into the driver's seat, starting the ignition and putting it into gear. Bright, that. No, it really is people like you who've left us with no choice in pumping our own gas. But then, it's likely cheaper than yours anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">