• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident Help: What Next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unclaimedcase

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am the registered owner of a vehicle that was involved in a T-BONE accident. I was not driving nor was I present. The driver of my car was not at-fault and he is insured. Though I'm registered owner, the car is insured under another name (my friend), he was in the passenger seat when the accident occurred. He has already filed a claim with his insurance for personal injury, loss wages etc. My concern is property damage, the car is totaled and now I have no car. What can I do from here? I'm a first-timer. And should there be any reason why my friend will not give me any info about the driver who hit them??? I'm lost, confused and in need of some legal advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please explain how you as the owner of the vehicle are not the person who it is insured under.
I can think of a few scenarios...

It is possible to insure the vehicle based on the person being a member of the household. It is also possible for the vehicle to be owned by the person, but insured by a business (I understand the second scenario doesn't apply.) Also, it's possible that the vehicle is being "leased" to the other party by the RO.

ecmst12

You need to file a claim against the person who caused the accident. Your friend may be trying to represent himself as the owner of the car so he can collect the money for the property damage. That shouldn't work since he's not the owner on the title, and he would need to be in order to settle the total loss. But you need to make sure that he's not trying it anyway.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I can think of a few scenarios...

It is possible to insure the vehicle based on the person being a member of the household. It is also possible for the vehicle to be owned by the person, but insured by a business (I understand the second scenario doesn't apply.) Also, it's possible that the vehicle is being "leased" to the other party by the RO.
Or it is possible that OP was attempting to commit fraud (he doesn't have a license or something) but still wanted it insured, in which case he gets NOTHING.

davew128

You don't need a license to own or insure a car.
True HOWEVER, it doesn't answer the question of how another individual who doesnt own it was the insured driver (to be distinguished from the ACTUAL driver who's personal insurance is wholly irrelevant).

ecmst12

The car was definitely insured incorrectly if the owner wasn't named on the insurance policy. But that's not relevent to the accident here since it wasn't the driver of OP's car's fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">