• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident on highway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StacyKansas

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Hello! I was involved in an accident on a 4-lane, divided highway a few days ago and need some advice on what I should expect to happen. Here's the information

Vehicle 1 - other driver
Vehicle 2 - Me
Witness - the witness vehicle.

I was proceeding south on a 4-lane divded highway in the right lane behind Witness. I turned on blinker and moved into left lane to pass Witness. I then saw that Vehicle 1 was in front of Witness. As I proceeded to pass Witness, Vehicle 1 turned on blinker to move into left lane in front of me. Before I had a chance to react, Vehicle one pulled over into my lane, doing what looked to me like a very slow U-turn. I slammed on my brakes and could not move into right lane because of Witness and ended up hitting Vehicle 1 on the very back of vehicle on the driver's side. Vehicle 1 person got out of vehicle, said she was sorry and said her tired blew out and because there wasn't much of a shoulder on her side, she was trying to get over to the other shoulder (on the left side). I said oh, and did not say anything more. We did not sustain injuries... i had a small bruise from my seat belt and my neck is sore, but that is it. Obviously, this would be her fault, but I am not sure if she was ticketed, or what the police report says because it just happened yesterday and I cannot get a copy of the report until Monday. We did have to give statements. I did say that I saw her blinker on the report. However, I did not have time to react, nor did i think she would do a slow u-turn over my lane of traffic. Nor did I see her tire blow out. I have contacted my insurance company and they are following up on everything on Monday. To set the scene, it was about 10 in the morning, it had been raining so roads we wet, but it was not raining at the time. My car has automatic lights, so those were on, my seat belt was on, and I had not reached the speed limit yet, which was 65 MPH. This happened not to far from a junction with a state highway where lights controlled traffic, so I had just come out of a stop on a red light.

My questions are...
1. What questions will I expect to be asked my her agency?
2. I have liability coverage only on my 1999 Toyota Camry because it is paid off, so I can't get a rental car on my own insurance, can I get it through hers?
3. My front end was pretty tore up and had to be towed, what are they most likely to do, total out or fix a car that's 8 years old?
4. I know I am not at fault, but I am always scared I will say the wrong thing, or her insurance will try to turn it on me, what can I do to prevent this?
5. If the police got a statement from a witness, how much does that help/hinder when insurance companies start talking?

Ok, I think that is it for now. Just would like some advice before moving on.

Thank you, in advance, for all who respond.

StacyWhat is the name of your state?

ecmst12

Be honest with the other driver's insurance company. The police report and witness statement will hopefully support your story and they will accept liability quickly.

On an 8 year old car, there is a strong possibilty that it will be a total loss. Start looking for a new car now, just in case, because once they decide it's totalled, the time you have to look will be limited. Once they accept liability, they will pay for a rental car, it's up to you whether you want to wait for that or just get the rental now and let them reimburse you.

For future reference, you should be able to get rental car coverage even if you only have liability coverage; it's a separate coverage and usually pretty cheap.

StacyKansas

Thank you for your reply ecmst12. I just hope everything goes smoothly and that she admits fault, but I'm sure it is never that easy. It just couldn't come a worse time since I am planning an August wedding in Vegas and my fiance is gone right now working in Kentucky. So, it's been a mess, haha. But, I appreciate your input and I plan to be honest, but firm about what happened and hopefully I will be able to move forward.

If anyone else out there has additional advice, please feel free to share it with me! :)

Stacy (Kansas)

moburkes

While rental insurance is its own coverage, with most insurance companies it is tied to collision coverage. ie, If you don't have collision coverage, you cannot get rental or towing coverage.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While rental insurance is its own coverage, with most insurance companies it is tied to collision coverage. ie, If you don't have collision coverage, you cannot get rental or towing coverage.
However, OP is on the right track to claim the rental reimbursement from the at-fault party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">