• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

an accident with incomplete papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shoshoit

I "sold" my car to John in May, but neither title nor insurance were put in his name. In the meantime, I moved to New York while he is still in Mass., where the car remains registered under MY name. I have mailed him the title with my signature (dated to a month ago), but he has neglected to sign his name, turn in the plates, or register under his name.

As luck had it, he got into an accident a week ago (completely his fault) and notified me only yesterday. "My" car is seriously damaged, the other car was slightly damaged, and one child from the other car was complaining of pains and brought to a hospital. John did not find out how the child is doing.

I have a written statement signed by John from May stating that he would pay for any damages inflicted onto the car and persons and take full responsibility for any accident while it is still under my name. It also stated the transaction should be complete when I returned in Sept. He has failed to meet this promise.

Help! What is my liability? If the other car's owner decides to sue, is it my fault? Does John have ANY liability? And if so, if he has no money whatsoever, what happens?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">