• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In accident Insurance lapses 24hrs ONLY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pgdaddy

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

Ok my insurance was lapsed for 1 day ONLY..... I made the payment unfortunately thru the night drop box and not to a person and just my luck I am in an accident on my way home.

My insurance claims I am without insurance. Should I NOT have a grace period or something? I am on a month to month policy and I receive my new cards 1 wk before my insurance is due and I always pay it on the day it is DUE.......

So what happens from here will I lose my license? Can they sue me? What are my options?????????

pimp

there is some hope

You can fight this by contacting the Texas dept of insurance. Yes, you can lose your liscense and be sued. Did you cause the accident? Hopefully you will win. Usually the insurance company has to send you a letter warning you your policy will be terminated on a specific date. Good luck and I hope you win.

P

pgdaddy

They say

We were told we were the cause of the accident because of the failure to yield to on coming traffic. I just did NOT see the car.......

Well our due date was the 25th and I paid on the 26th how does this affect us? How long can I lose my license for? One day is going to cause me alot of pain I just don't understand how this works.

pimp

Restitution

Usually the liscense wont be reinstated until restitution is paid or the enforcement of the judgement ends (judgements are renewable) and you provide proof of insurance. Bottom line: Reinstating a suspended liscense is expensive and its always best to avoid it by paying for the damages or contacting the Dept. of Insurance etc.

P

pgdaddy

Thank you.....

Thank you, for your input I appreciate it. I don't have the money to pay for the damages so I am hoping her insurance covers and I can make arrangements to pay off the damages I have insurance that is not a problem I just lapsed one day by accident.

Thanks for the help.

spawn_x

Re: there is some hope

pimp said:
You can fight this by contacting the Texas dept of insurance. Yes, you can lose your liscense and be sued. Did you cause the accident? Hopefully you will win. Usually the insurance company has to send you a letter warning you your policy will be terminated on a specific date. Good luck and I hope you win.
so if you don't pay your bill they have no right to cancel your policy? troll.

You are out of luck - you were late on the payment, don't make excuses. You know it yourself.

Your license will also be suspended because you WERE in an accident without insurance. As for paying for your damages.. who's fault was the accident? If the other party's - file a claim with his insurance. If it was your fault - bend over and provide lube because he WILL screw you in court.

P

pgdaddy

Thanks....

Thank you Spawn for you input.... I know I made a mistake and I own up to that and I will take my due...

I was just asking for advice. I had it and didn't need your lovely words I got was Pimp was telling me.

Thanks.

S

stupidme2

PG Daddy, don't listen to Spawn. I was in this same situation 2 weeks ago. Don't worry about it too much. The other cars insurance people will work with you on paying back the damages to the car and any injuries. State Farm has been nothing but nice to me about this and I am the uninsured party. So far I do not know if or who reports me to the state and if I will lose my liscense, but I think that as long as you are cooperative, you will be ok. Just set up a payment plan like I am doing and do your best to take care of it.

P

pgdaddy

Thank you :eek:)

Thank you, I appreciate that it helps the insurance company is State Farm and I will pay what I owe that's not a problem in payments. I am glad I am not the only one in this type of situation.

You made me feel better thanks for the kind words. I hate to say stupidme2 but that's you name in the forum appreciate your input.

spawn_x

Stupidme2, thank you for living up to your name.

Don't be ignorant by confusing luck with law - your insurance company working with you is luck, not law. They may have made a screwup which is why your insurance lapsed, but I have yet to hear for an insurance company covering a lapsed insured driver. Why should they?

Do you think they are that nice to simply say "You know what, you've been a customer with us so we'll go ahead and pay that big chunk of money out even though you forgot to send the payment in on time"?

I don't see why they would decide to cover you. Its not their fault you sent the payment in late..

Pimp is also wrong on fighting. What are your basis for fighting the lapse? That all your other payments were on time and you made an honest mistake?

My words may not make you feel warm and fuzzy but its better than a sweet lie...

S

stupidme2

Spawn. there is no sense in upsetting people for something that you don't about. Believe me, I cried for three days thinking I was going to jail etc. over my wreck. I called a REAL lawyer finally and basically it's a wait and see deal. It's not luck. The insurance companies would rather work with you than have to file law suits and stuff. I am saying that State Farm is the person that I hit's insurance, not mine. I have no insurance, therefor I have to deal with my own car as well as theirs. I am paying back THEIR insurance company for fixing THEIR car. I don't know what to tell him about the late payment. I think it is fightable, but he will have to wait and see.....

spawn_x

insurance company would rather not worry about a lawsuit?

for WHAT ??

How is the late payment "fightable"?

You are ignoring basic facts here and are going into your imaginary ones. I am not upsetting you, but your arguments have nothing to back them up.

P

pgdaddy

Well......

Thanks for all the input you know what I guess I wasn't expecting this to be someplace for he said she said I was just wanting some advice and I got it....

I am thankful to all and you know what I am just going to wait and see what happens.

S

stupidme2

Oh my goodness Spawn. Everything I am saying is with regard to the fact that he DOES NOT have insurance. Let me put it simply. He hit a car. He is at fault. The other person files a claim with their own insurance co. Their insurance company contacts pgdaddy who is cooperative and tells them his insurance situation. They say, ok no problem. We will fix our client's car and let you know how much you owe us. You can make payments. Thanks for your help. In the mean time, PG has no insurance of his own to fix his car, so that is his problem too. As for being one day late on the payment, I do think he can probably work something out if he has a good history with his insurance co. and if they are a reputable co. Otherwise, too bad for him. I imagine that like me, he is more concerned about what the OTHER party is going to do as far as damages and law suits and judgements. If he is just cooperative, they will be glad to work with him. PG, my husband has legal aide through his company. Perhaps you have this benefit as well and can get free legal advise THAT way since this isn't the best place as we both know. PG and I are both in Texas, where are you??

pimp

Re: Re: there is some hope

listen. they said it was one day. like i said the insurance company must send you a letter saying the date coverage will be suspended. I acknowledge that insurance companies have the right to terminate a policy. However the person can probably prove it was one day and the date they put the money in the box. It is worth a shot. The Dept. of Insurance handles many cases like this and sometimes make the insurance companies pay up. There is nothing wrong with trying. It is worth a shot. That is her only shot to plead this case. all they can say is yeah or no. Quit being a smart aleck because that was good advice. Alot of people would do that. I didn't tell her to fight it. I gave her the best option. Spawn your the only person I know that wont be thankful for having options. She has a good case. We see that big vein in the middle of your forehead spawn.Its about to burst. Go get a nut or something to relieve that stress. Everything I suggested was true. You dont know what your talking about spawn. In closing spawn...Bye Hater!

spawn_x said:
so if you don't pay your bill they have no right to cancel your policy? troll.

You are out of luck - you were late on the payment, don't make excuses. You know it yourself.

Your license will also be suspended because you WERE in an accident without insurance. As for paying for your damages.. who's fault was the accident? If the other party's - file a claim with his insurance. If it was your fault - bend over and provide lube because he WILL screw you in court.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">