• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident insurance workers comp injuries pain and suffering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

seawhispers

What is the name of your state? washington
was involved in a no fault auto accident on 12/31. The liable parties insurance company (Farmers) accepted liability 2 days after the accident. I have rec'd the check for my car, it was totaled. They paid for 3 weeks rental vehicle and have stated they will be paying my medical bills and handling my bodily injury claim. This accident occured while I was driving as part of my job so I also have put in for workers comp and they have accepted my claim. I will be out of work for approx. 2 months according to the doctor. I have a fractured sternum and broken ribs. I was hospitalized overnight after the accident. Labor and Industries has sent me a third party election form. I need to decide if I will assign this case over to them for recovery from the insurance company or if I or my attorney will pursue third party action. I was hoping to work with the insurance company myself and not forfeit a third of any settlement amount to an attorney. I have done quite a bit of work on the medical bills, and all the claims and paperwork myself from the start and have documented everything and have kept receipts and history of all expenses. I have orderd some books about personal injury claims so I can familiarize myself with the standards. While waiting to decide I thought I would ask for feedback on whether it would serve me best to turn the action over to L&I and save myself the trouble. The bottom line for me is that I will not be receiving my actual loss of wages and I want total reimbursement. I have also been in a lot of pain, have had to cancel various activities in my life, have been unable to meet my debts and have to spend a lot of time following up with my doctor. I feel that a fair amount should be awarded to me for pain and suffering. I mentioned this to the L&I claims adjuster and she said pain and suffering doesn't exisit with them. Hmmm. Do I use L&I for representation and hope for the best settlement, do I give in and hire an attorney, or can I realistically do part of this myself? My medical bills will probably be close to the insureds liability limits although I was covered with UIM. I welcome suggestions from anyone who has been here. Thank you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">