• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident making a left turn on yellow light.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GRed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I entered an intersection while the light was still green to make a left turn. While waiting the light turned yellow and I still waited for traffic to clear before I began to turn. Once traffic cleared I saw a man on a motorcycle coming towards the intersection, but he was far enough away that I could safely make it through the intersection. The motorcyclist was slowing down to what looked like a stop, but as I began my turn I HEARD him shift gears and accelerate through the intersection. I turned and saw him coming towards me in my passenger side window and slammed on my breaks. He tried to swerve in front of me but ended up hitting the very front of my car and flew off his bike and landed about 2-3 car lengths away. He was severely injured and I feel awful. I on the other hand was fine..my airbags didn't even deploy. There were several witnesses to the even that said he accelerated at a very high speed into the intersection and said they didn't think it was my fault. I got a ticket anyway. I understand that Ca traffic law states that you must wait for oncoming traffic before making a left turn. The law also states that you can wait until there is enough room between traffic to proceed safely through the intersection. I am wondering if because of my witness statements and the fact that the police indicated that they were NOT witnesses to the accident if I have any grounds in court? Also, the police did nothing to investigate the speed of the motorcyclist..which shouldn't be too hard to determine with some simple physics..according to the police report the man weighs about 345 pounds..so for him to fly several car lengths in the direction he was driving probably means he was not only accelerating, but traveling at a pretty high speed. Any thoughts?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">