• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident, no insurace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluez

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I rear ended someone the other day. She was stopped at a stoplight, waiting to turn right, I was right behind her, stopped and waiting as well. She started to go right then suddenly braked for no apparent reason (she was talking on a cell phone). I started to go and immediately hit the brakes and I hit her. I was going under 5 MPH when I hit her and I put a slight dent in her bumper and my front bumper is hardly damaged at all.

No police were called to the scene and there were no witnesses. We exchanged info and left. She did complain of some back pain but is fine now.

When I got home I was looking over my insurance policy and realized that my insurance had expired a month ago. I thought I had paid the 6 month premium but I hadn't. So I was not insured at the time of the accident, but did obtain insurance coverage later in the day.

Within an hour after the accident, I received a call from a police officer. The driver I hit went straight to the police station and filed a report. I told the officer exactly what happened and I was honest in telling him that my insurance had expired a month ago. It was determined that only her bumper was slightly damaged.

The other driver is now aware that I was not insured and I have been contacted by her insurance company to get my version of the story.

What I'm wondering is what exactly can happen to me... not only by her but by her insurance company and by the police.

And does a police report written "after-the-fact" and not at the scene help that much.

Thanks in advance.

S

shell007

Bluez: you asked:

What I'm wondering is what exactly can happen to me... not only by her but by her insurance company and by the police.
What can happen is she can sue for property damages and any injury (if any). If you didn't have insurance, I think it's coming out of your pocket.

And does a police report written "after-the-fact" and not at the scene help that much.
I think it will help her and not you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">