• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident, no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melsers

Is this true in California?

I was wondering if I was involved in an accident and not at fault but didn't have insurance am I still entitled to an insurance claim from the other party.

The at-fault party in the accident typically has their insurance pay for the damage to the vehicle they hit no matter if that other driver was insured or not. So if what you described has happened to you then you should have the right to put a claim through the at-fault's insurance company.

If you are uninsured and involved in an accident, even if not your fault, you are likely to be cited by the police since most all states require insurance or proof of financial responsibility. If you were not cited for this law violation I would find yourself lucky and get insurance for your automobile as soon as possible.

ablessin

It looks like you answered your own question.

So, what is your point?? You should always have insurance on your car.

What if next time the accident IS your fault? Boy are you gonna be screwed BIG time

Litigation!

melsers said:
Is this true in California?

I was wondering if I was involved in an accident and not at fault but didn't have insurance am I still entitled to an insurance claim from the other party.

The at-fault party in the accident typically has their insurance pay for the damage to the vehicle they hit no matter if that other driver was insured or not. So if what you described has happened to you then you should have the right to put a claim through the at-fault's insurance company.

If you are uninsured and involved in an accident, even if not your fault, you are likely to be cited by the police since most all states require insurance or proof of financial responsibility. If you were not cited for this law violation I would find yourself lucky and get insurance for your automobile as soon as possible.

My response:

Additionally, you'll also be a Proposition 213 driver; i.e., Not entitled to "pain and suffering" damages; only actual, out-of-pocket damages.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">