• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident in a no parking zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gofortheride

What is the name of your state? Florida

At a daycare, I backed into a car that was parked in the no-parking zone next to the front of the building. As I was putting my child into the car they parked their black car, at night, in a no parking zone directly behind me.

The police were called but never showed. We exchanged information and they have an estimate for damages to the car.

The question is: Am I fully at fault for not looking carefully enough or do I share in only part of the blame. If I made him take me to court, will I have to pay for half of the damages or all of them.

divgradcurl

Am I fully at fault for not looking carefully enough or do I share in only part of the blame.
Fully at fault.

If I made him take me to court, will I have to pay for half of the damages or all of them.
All of them.

Parking a car illegally does not give everyone else license to run into it.

gofortheride

I have never been dragged to court so excuse my ignorance.
If he got a lawyer to sue me for it would I have to pay for his lawyer as well or just court cost?

divgradcurl

How much damage did you do? Is it more than the small claims limit? Where is your insurance in all of this -- if you have insurance, they'll deal with everything.

However, in general, no, you wouldn't have to pay the other guy's attorney's fees.

EDIT: Costs, yes. Fees, no.

teflon_jones

What exactly could he sue you for? Just turn it in to your insurance company and let them deal with it. Any lawsuit the other party filed would go through them anyway up to your coverage limits, and a parking lot accident isn't going to go above those (assuming you have full coverage).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">