• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident,other person not insured. Kind of long, I apologize.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geekygirl

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello everyone,
I was involved in an accident this past Weds. I was on a main road when a lady decided to peel out of her driveway and onto the road before I could even get into the other lane or honk she hit us. We spun out into oncoming traffic and back into the original lane. After she got out of her car she came up to my window saying it was my fault. I kept quiet partly because I didn't want a fight and partly because the seat belt had choked me and I couldn't really speak. Anyways the police showed up took the report and cited her. She gave the officer her insurance companies name nd thats it besides her telephone and address. She told the officer she didn't have the policy number on her but she does have insurance. I called the insurance company and they have no record of her being insured with them. The officer that took the report is off for vacation and the police department said he can answer my questions when he gets back. Thats in 2 weeks. My insurance company says that because I have only liability insurance there is nothing they can do. Which is understandable since thats all I could afford. My problem is that I've already taken 2 days off from work because my back is really hurting because of this. Even if I could go to work I wouldn't be able to drive there because my car is totalled. What avenues of recourse do I have?I thank you very much in advance.
Kelli

Last edited:

larry1950

not insured

the only recourse that you have, if the other driver doesn't have auto insurance, is to sue them in civil court or small claims court. You also might want to go to the other driver's court appearance and explain your story to the judge.

And spend the money to properly cover yourself in the event of another accident. I'm tired of uninsured and underinsured drivers on this forum complaining about other uninsured and underinsured drivers. You all deserve each other.

Who's Liable?

InsuranceLadyAZ said:
And spend the money to properly cover yourself in the event of another accident. I'm tired of uninsured and underinsured drivers on this forum complaining about other uninsured and underinsured drivers. You all deserve each other.

What are you talking about? She was a responisble driver by covering herself in such a way that if she hit someone else, the repairs would be made...

It is NOT the OP fault that someone else DID NOT giver her the same courtesy.

I agree that it is responsible to carry liability insurance in case you are at fault. However, she should have med pay coverage. Also, work loss coverage. Basically, if she had full coverage, she wouldn't be in this predicament. It's worth the extra money to protect yourself.

moburkes

geekygirl said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello everyone,
I was involved in an accident this past Weds. I was on a main road when a lady decided to peel out of her driveway and onto the road before I could even get into the other lane or honk she hit us. We spun out into oncoming traffic and back into the original lane. After she got out of her car she came up to my window saying it was my fault. I kept quiet partly because I didn't want a fight and partly because the seat belt had choked me and I couldn't really speak. Anyways the police showed up took the report and cited her. She gave the officer her insurance companies name nd thats it besides her telephone and address. She told the officer she didn't have the policy number on her but she does have insurance. I called the insurance company and they have no record of her being insured with them. The officer that took the report is off for vacation and the police department said he can answer my questions when he gets back. Thats in 2 weeks. My insurance company says that because I have only liability insurance there is nothing they can do. Which is understandable since thats all I could afford. My problem is that I've already taken 2 days off from work because my back is really hurting because of this. Even if I could go to work I wouldn't be able to drive there because my car is totalled. What avenues of recourse do I have?I thank you very much in advance.
Kelli
You didn't have to have "full coverage" to fully protect yourself, but it would have put you in a better position. Many people reject uninsured motorist, but too many people are driving without insurance to do that. Depending on what uninsured motorist limits you chose, you may have used that coverage to help you pay your medical bills. Uninsured motorist property damage would have helped pay for your car in this situation as well.

Ask your insurance company if they can try to find out if she is insured. Call her and ask her. Let her know that you are filing a lawsuit against her for damages but will file against her insurance company if she can provide you with that information instead.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">