• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident in parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Iroc24

What is the name of your state? PA

I don't really have a huge interest in suing, but I am interested if I would be able to.

This past May, I was driving in a Walmart Parking Lot trying to going to the front to park (it has an intersection between the front and back spots). As I approached the intersection I hit multiple pot holes in successtion and entered the intersection where I was hit by another car. My step-father took a yard stick with him to take pictures of the potholes and they were, on average, 3 inches deep and about .75-1.5 yards wide.

When the officer came to write up the report, he said that I was lucky, there are always accidents in that specific parking lot because of the potholes, twice cause cars to flip over.

I had my license for a little under a year at the time (I recieved my license the July before) and with the exception of that accedient, have nothing else on my record. No tickets, no other accidents, not even a parking violation.

The insurance company considered the accident my fault because when I had hit the potholes, I ran a stopsign that was painted (but extremly faded, have pictures) on the ground. My insurance company paid to repair the other car, which just had a dent in the bumber. My car on the other hand was totalled and I haven't gotten a new car yet.

Luckilly, no one in the other car was injured, and even though I was covered in glass, the only injury I sustained was just a bruised shoulder from the force of the seatbelt pulling me back.

The accident happened on a Friday around 6:00pm and we went back to take the pictures Saturday at around 3:00pm. My mom and I went back Monday to get a few more pictures and the potholes were all filled and the "stopsign" was repainted and bright white.

Did/do I have any legal rights against the company that owned the parking lot (it wasn't walmart). They must have known that it was dangerous, why else would they have repaired it so quickly after the accident.

Thanks.

K

knotcops

Is the the Walmart International Speedway parking lot? My god, cop says cars have flipped from hitting a couple of pot holes. Whats speed are all of you going? You should be watching where you are driving and in complete control of the vehicle at all times, including hitting pot holes. Holes 3 inches deep should not cause you to lose control. And how fast were you going to have totalled your car? I would say that your speed and not the potholes were the major factors in your having the accident.

I

Iroc24

I was going about 20mph. The other car (the one that hit me) was going faster. I'm not sure how fast though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">