• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident Probably not Covered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chip_council

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My roomate took my second car and got into an accident where the car was totalled. I did not list him on the policy so I am pretty certain my claim will be denied. I am worred that if I attempt to file a claim that it will not only be rejected, but my policy will be nullified and I will have a difficult time finding affordable insurance. I am thinking about just canceling the policy on this vehicle and making an agreement with the Leinholder to continue making payments on the vehicle as I had agreed and just chalk this up to experience. What kind of problems can I expect from the Lienholder?

rmet4nzkx

Do you have comprehensive coverage on the vehicle? If so and your roomate had permission, most policies allow you to allow others to drive, you will have to check out the actual policy, if so, it is covered according to the policy. If they took it without permission, report it stolen. Most likely, when you report the accident, the insurance company will let you know the limits of the policy. If it is not covered you can take your roomate to small claims court for repayment. Before you make a lot of assumptions, report it to your insurance company. At least it was your second car.

Lynx 36

They could deny your claim, as insurance companies require that all people living in the same address, and w/in driving age to be added to the policy. There are other factors involved. Does your roomate have their own car? Own insurance? How long have you lived together?

Quote (from rmet4): Do you have comprehensive coverage on the vehicle?

Lastly, you will have to use your collision coverage not your comprehensive coverage. The adjustor will inform you of that though. Comp coverage is used f/ damage to the vehicle involving a non-collision. I.E. vandalism, tree falls on car, hail, etc. When the car is in an accident, collision coveraqe will apply.

See what I mean rmet4? How can you give people advice on handling their auto accident claims when you don't even know the difference between comp and collision coverage on a policy? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">