• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Neal1421

What is the name of your state?TN

To try to make a long story short, I was in an accident last friday where I was rear ended by another vehicle. I was actually in a loaner car from my car dealership as they were doing repairs on my car and I was a block away from the dealership trying to get my car when the accident occurred, but that's irrelevant. Anyway, the cops were called and they took the other guy's information as well as my license information. The dealership and the guy that hit me also exchanged information. The only person that I gave my number to was the guy that hit me just in case his insurance company needed to talk to me.
Since all of this occurred I have talked to the insurance company and told them what happened and that I was not physically injured, however I have received at least 9 phone calls from people from other companies saying that they "heard" that I was involved in an accident and was "seriously" injured. Well after 3 of the calls, I stopped answering and they keep leaving me messages.

Here is my question. Is the insurance company allowed to give my phone number to these people? It was my cell phone number that isn't even listed in my name so I know the companies had to get the numbers from there. Is there any way to stop these people from calling me? Is it even legal for them to keep calling me if there was in fact no injuries reported?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

weenor

Are you sure that you did not give the cell # to the police? Lawyers send runners to the police and sheriff's departments to pull police reports and driver information and then contact the one that wasn't at fault. If you are getting phone calls about being "seriously" injured, its calls from PI Lawyers and no insurance company would be stupid enough to give your number to them.

seniorjudge

Neal1421 said:
What is the name of your state?TN

To try to make a long story short, I was in an accident last friday where I was rear ended by another vehicle. I was actually in a loaner car from my car dealership as they were doing repairs on my car and I was a block away from the dealership trying to get my car when the accident occurred, but that's irrelevant. Anyway, the cops were called and they took the other guy's information as well as my license information. The dealership and the guy that hit me also exchanged information. The only person that I gave my number to was the guy that hit me just in case his insurance company needed to talk to me.
Since all of this occurred I have talked to the insurance company and told them what happened and that I was not physically injured, however I have received at least 9 phone calls from people from other companies saying that they "heard" that I was involved in an accident and was "seriously" injured. Well after 3 of the calls, I stopped answering and they keep leaving me messages.

Here is my question. Is the insurance company allowed to give my phone number to these people? It was my cell phone number that isn't even listed in my name so I know the companies had to get the numbers from there. Is there any way to stop these people from calling me? Is it even legal for them to keep calling me if there was in fact no injuries reported?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Accident reports are public info.

Lawyers scour those things daily.

Neal1421

The thing is though that the only people that had by cell phone number are the car dealership, the insurance company and the guy that hit me. I didn't give my number to the police.

Anyway, since I originally posted I have only had two more of these phone calls and that was Friday evening so I am going to assume that they are finished harrassing me for the time being.

Thanks for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">