• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident Question. Need Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

figgifumi

What is the name of your state? KY

Involved in minor accident a few weeks ago. Girl pulled out in front of me, drove a few feet, and immediately locked up brakes. I slid into her and did very minimal damage to her rear bumper (1" long scratch approx. 1/2" deep). We agreed to not file police report due to fact she was in hurry, and I offered to have scratch reapaired at car dealership I work for.

Yesterday she called and asked if I would be willing to just give her the money for repair ($150) so that she could pay for other repairs needed (not pertaining to accident). I agreed, but stipulated she must sign agreement basically that we're even. However, today she called and stated that her dad is insisting on having the rear bumper totally replaced and repainted (est. $600+) and that they expect me to pay for it.

My question is; what am I legally responsible to do??? Bear in mind that there was no accident report or witness statement. Thank you for any advice you can give.

D

J

jas_m

I can't tell you what your legal responsibility would be, but you might read the thread on the CLUE database and see what happened to me in a similar accident. If you report this or even talk with your insurance company about it, expect your policy to go up and it to become part of your insurance record for ??? years.

Maybe you can negotiate a settlement with the Dad in between what you offered and what he now wants. It could end up being cheaper (and less headache) in the long run.

F

figgifumi

Thanks for the advice. Not sure exactly how I will handle it all. I'm going to speak with a local attorney today (company has on retainer) about my liability and how to best resolve the situation. Good luck on your accident and dealing with the CLUE database.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">