• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident reporting to DMV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

martyreeus

What is the name of your state? California

Hi, I am new to this site and i really am thankful that we have a resource such as this to ease our mind of some questions that bothers us.

I had a minor car accident early this morning, I rear ended a vehicle at a stop light while making a right turn. The lane we were on says no stopping at anytime, it was a green light so I approached and check the oncoming traffic on my left when the car in front of me stopped and I didnt have time to brake. There was a poilice officer who checked our status and he said that there was nothing major, no personal injuries and all we need to do is exchange information, and so we did. I am driving a company fleet car, I am worried that I may lose my job for having an accident.

My question is
- will the insurance companies report the accident to DMV and have a point against me?
- i already have 3 points on my DMV record for minor traffice violations eg. speeding, how will that affect my driving priviledges
- can i go on a training course and get my points off my record..

thanks so much in advance for any help or feedback.

marty

CdwJava

My question is
- will the insurance companies report the accident to DMV and have a point against me?
If the damage is over $750, you are required to report it to the DMV. However, it is my understanding that fault will not be determined in these situations as there is insufficient information to determine fault, and with no collision report, there is no independent determination.

- i already have 3 points on my DMV record for minor traffice violations eg. speeding, how will that affect my driving priviledges
There should be no point involved. if the police officer had taken a report, yes, you would have gotten a point.

- can i go on a training course and get my points off my record..
Not sure what a "training course" is, but if you refer to "traffic school", no. No citation, no traffic school.

- Carl

Have you been to Traffic School within the last 3 years? I think you can go to Traffic School for some types of violations and I believe that completing the course means no points for the violations specific to the ticket(s) received. Example: say you get a ticekt for speeding and not wearing a seatbelt (same day same stop by officer), and if you are eligible for Traffic School, you pay for the class, attend, and then you should not be dinged with the points on your record for that specific stop/ticket. I am not certain of how long you have between class eligibility (could be 2 years, or 3, I forget). Good luck.

Ooops, I guess I forgot to find out if you got a ticket for this. Carl is of course correct; if no ticket, no need for School. I don't know how much time has passed from your other tickets that you received points for but it's probably too late now for School for those.

martyreeus

dmv point

Carl,

thanks for your immediate reply...
By training school i meant traffic school...
i have already attended one within 18 months, i have been really careful with the way i drive, i work as a diabetes consultant working for a medical device company and my job requires a lot of driving, i have the whole of northern california and northern nevada as a territory and it is required that you have a valid license....
i dont want my license to be suspended, revoked nor be on probation...
is there anything i can do to reduce my points?
what can i do to make sure i dont have any points against my driving record with the accident i have earlier...
thanks again... you guys are a big relief....

marty

martyreeus

dmv point

no ticket, no citation, cop said that all we need to do is exchange information.... just worried that insurance companies, when they submit a record to dmv, dmv might count a point against me....

thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">