• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident settlement limits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rainbow21

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida

Question? I was in an accident and have a substancial amount of medical bills and permanent injuries. If the limit on their insurance is not enought to compensate, what do you do? Is that when you decide to go to court with it.... or is it possible for the insurance company to offer more then the limit?

stephenk

the carrier is only obligated to offer the limits of their policy and nothing more. do you have underinsured insurance coverage on your vehicle?

R

rainbow21

Yes... I was underinsured. Only 10K in medical coverage which was up like in the first week or so. Not to mention total loss of car and future medical expenses. If I would have had full coverage... would that make a difference in the settlement? Accident was obviously not my fault.:mad:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rainbow21 said:
Yes... I was underinsured. Only 10K in medical coverage which was up like in the first week or so. Not to mention total loss of car and future medical expenses. If I would have had full coverage... would that make a difference in the settlement? Accident was obviously not my fault.:mad:

My response:

No, no, no. That's not was StephenK meant.

In your insurance policy "Declaration" sheet, did you have "Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist" coverage? That coverage, if you have it, is there for YOU if the "at fault" party doesn't have enough insurance to pay for YOUR damages.

So, take a look at your insurance coverages, and tell us if you have that coverage for yourself.

Get back to us.

IAAL

R

rainbow21

Oh ok I see what you are saying. No apparently I did not. I have a crapy insurance company. If anything I have learned never to drive with anything less then full coverage. Is the fact that I did not going to screw me in the end?

R

Ramoth

Florida is a No Fault state. As it was explained to me, this means that YOUR insurance pays for YOUR damage and injuries.

R

rainbow21

They paid only to a certain amount. Although Florida it is No Fault, since it was someone's fault (rear-ended) her ins. co. will settle with me for my med. expenses,lost wages, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">