• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident in someone elses car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

abouttobebroke

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was in a tip over crash recently. I was in a car that is not titled nor insured to myself. It is insured to a family member. The car went into a ditch and now a brand new range rover is decimated.
It is in a private community so I went and had the guard call wrecker..and magically the police showed up.I am taking it in to have estimates on repairs but on the hypothetical worst case, I was quoted at 50g's in damage. I am an uninsured driver. No one else was involved in the accident. I was not charged with anything. however i was drinking. I am wondering if the owners insurance will cover it or if I am about to go broke? can somebody let me know so I can start tying the noose;) the owner is not back yet and as of such I have not been able to notify her...

Also, The police report states that I was not driving the car at the time of crash(it was unprovable). I am running on but I don't know where I stand and am staring down a huge bill right out of school...or maybe not?

lwpat

"It is in a private community so I went and had the guard call wrecker..and magically the police showed up."

In many states a wrecker is not allowed to move a vehicle without notifying the police.

"I am wondering if the owners insurance will cover it"

It should be covered. You can look in the vehicle for an insurance card and you need to go ahead and notify the insurance company if the owner is going to be unavailable. I would not give them a statement.

However I doubt that you medical bills are going to be covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">