• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident & suspended liscence/uninsured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lil_Weasel1

Washington-- i rear ended a car that had stopped on off ramp it was raining & dark, while trying to merge onto a freeway, we pulled over, no police were called, we exchanged information, drivers liscence & vehicle but not insurance info I have none because my liscence was suspended recently so my insurance was cancelled & had not yet got ins, I know i should have but had lost my job 2 weeks ago & just got seperated & had no one to drive me around i know i should not have been driving. My ? now is the guy wants (for a scratch to a 88 lincoln bumper ) 700.00+ ?for repairs with only 1 est given or 300 cash isnt this fraudulant? & wants to know what by 6 pm tonight sat if i will pay (the 700 to the auto body shop or 300 cash to him) because he has to turn it into the insur (he says he has & deductable is 500) how do i find out if he has insurance & dont i get to have 3 estimates (which he cant get till mon because the other shops around are closed) & what will happen if i just give him the cash & should i? can his insurance still come after me? no witnesses

rmet4nzkx

Well he has you over a barell doesn't he?
If he reports it to his insurance and you don't have any, what do you think will happen?

jtmom

Sony_O said:
Washington-- i rear ended a car that had stopped on off ramp it was raining & dark, while trying to merge onto a freeway, we pulled over, no police were called, we exchanged information, drivers liscence & vehicle but not insurance info I have none because my liscence was suspended recently so my insurance was cancelled & had not yet got ins, I know i should have but had lost my job 2 weeks ago & just got seperated & had no one to drive me around i know i should not have been driving. My ? now is the guy wants (for a scratch to a 88 lincoln bumper ) 700.00+ ?for repairs with only 1 est given or 300 cash isnt this fraudulant? & wants to know what by 6 pm tonight sat if i will pay (the 700 to the auto body shop or 300 cash to him) because he has to turn it into the insur (he says he has & deductable is 500) how do i find out if he has insurance & dont i get to have 3 estimates (which he cant get till mon because the other shops around are closed) & what will happen if i just give him the cash & should i? can his insurance still come after me? no witnesses
don't give him the money cuz he may not have inmsurance himself. the police were not involed in this matter therefore he can't do anything about it.just wait to see what he does.

LK.

You can:

1. Report the whole thing to the police, settle the matter in a proper manner, and face the consequences of driving without a license and not maintaining compulsory insurance. You may need an attorney, as those are likely to be criminal charges in WA.

You face the charges, the accident gets settled, the guy goes away for good.

2. Go ahead, pay the guy and let the guy play his game with you, because he knows you are too scared to go to the cops.

The accident may or may not be settled. The guy may or may not go away for good. The cops may still find out about the accident.

3. Call an attorney first and take it from there.

Lil_Weasel1

rmet4nzkx said:
Well he has you over a barell doesn't he?
If he reports it to his insurance and you don't have any, what do you think will happen?
I dont know what will happen this is why i am posting here i dont know what to do what his/ my rights are ect because i dont know how badly he has me over a barrel :(

JETX

Okay, lets try to give you some ACCURATE answers.......

Sony_O said:
what will happen if i just give him the cash
If you give him the cash and have him sign a RELEASE FROM LIABILITY saying that he has accepted $_______ in cash for a full and complete settlement of any and all claims arising from the accident that occurred on (date) at (location), then you will probably have no further problem with him.

should i?
Depends on whether you want to face the risk of his turning in a claim to his insurance and the highly likely chance of a lawsuit if you don't pay. Oh, and lets not forget the 'other issues' (DWLS, no insurance, etc.)!!!.

can his insurance still come after me?
If you pay and get the release, no. If you don't pay, yes.

no witnesses
He doesn't need any. The fact that he can PROVE that the accident occurred and has YOUR information would be sufficient to show a court that his claim was valid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">