• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident, is there anything I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BullittMustang

What is the name of your state? Ohio

A friend of my family hit a patch of ice last week and with the slick roads lost control of the vehicle and hit the back of the other vehicle, needless to say, she was given a citation for failure to control her vehicle, she is only 17, and has had one other minor traffic violation a few months back. But, the person she hit, their tags where expired, (of which the officer only mentioned to him during the report process and did not cite him). Her family is concerned about the insurance skyrocketing, and just asked me to do a little research to see if there is any possible case here to go against the citation, because she is a minor she must appear in court Feb 4th, where she can then contest etc.

To my understanding, I guess they think they might have a case because of, "he shouldn't have been there" type deal.

Thanks

ecmst12

No,the other car's minor paperwork violation does not, in any way, relieve or even mitigate your friend's responsibility to control her vehicle. Neither the citation nor the fault determination for the accident are affected in any way. And she would be advised not to even mention it to the judge when she goes to court, it will just sound like she is making excuses.

racer72

Think of it this way, if that vehicle wasn't there she would have likely hit the next vehicle in line or there would have been another vehicle in it's place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">