• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident with uninsured company vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mtjim

I am in FL. 12/3/97, I was driving my employer's, dump truck, I have a CDL. Driving the truck was my employment. On 12/3/97, I was involved in an accident, I was at fault, with a passenger car, there were no injuries, but the car was totaled. I later found out that my employer did not have insurance on the dump truck, which I was driving.
Today is 5/31/01, I have not heard anything regarding this accident, until today. I received a letter from the car owners insurance company, the subrogation department, requesting me to make arrangements to pay for 50% of the value of the car which was totaled, because they cannot confirm liability insurance for me. I have always had my own auto insurance for my vehicles,however, I guess there was not any insurance on the dump truck. Am I liable for any of these damages? The car owners insurance company wants me to pay $7500.00 of a $15,000.00 claim for the totaled car. Also, they have threatened to have my drivers license suspended, if I do not make payment arrangements within the next 10 days. Can they do this? All help would be appreciated. Thank You

D

dj1

NO your employer is totally liable for the damage, since he had no insurance.

You were on company business right?

If you were doing a personal errands then you should contact your insurance company today, you may have to pay that half.

Proof my boy what proof do you have?

M

mtjim

Yes. On company business, driving a Dump Truck to site.
Thank You.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">