• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident where we're getting shafted!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lsadiesrvnhm

I live in Gulfport, MS.
A couple of weeks ago my husband and I were in a wreck. It is hard to explain how it happened, but here goes-
Traffic was sitting at a red light facing north. We were at a bank exit facing west. Since the traffic was stopped, a large dump truck facing north motioned for us to come out. (We were needing to cross over and turn left which was south) The dump truck was holding up traffic, which couldn't move anyway due to the red light. As we slowly came out, we stopped (still in front of truck) and looked both ways. (Light still red.) Out of nowhere a car coming from the south heading north hit us head on. He had driven around the stopped traffic, passed in a no passing zone, and even drove north in the south bound lane. Basically he illegally passed and hit us. No one was injured. He was driving with a suspended license and in his sister's car. He told the police he was sure she had insurance, but didn' know what it was. (Mississippi has a law that all drivers are to have insurance.) We have full coverage. He was arrested on site for the suspended license. By the way, when the light turned red, all traffic left. (No witnesses)
The officer said everything said was considered heresay.
The man told the officer he was slowly driving in northbound traffic when we came out and hit him. We told our story too. Since the accident, we have found out that they have no insurance, have constantly called our insurance company asking for things,like rental cars, etc. and have said he has an injury now. Our insurance company has said that they have to pay and that our insurance will go up. HELP! WHAT CAN WE DO? Should we get a lawyer? Would it do any good? Should we fight it? My husband and I both have a great driving record. If it were our fault, we would gladly accept the consequences. We feel we are getting the shaft here and desperately need advice.
Thank you,

L

lsadiesrvnhm

Good News

Since my post, we received a copy of a letter from our insurance company that was sent to the people who hit us. It basically said that they felt the wreck was their fault and denied any claims. Whew! Our truck cost over $4000 to be fixed, but we only had a $200 deductible. Our insurance rate is STILL going up though. What might our options be now?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Make a claim for your injuries under your Uninsured Motorist Coverage, because suing deadbeats like them will get you nowhere, fast. See a Personal Injury attorney as soon as possible to help you with your Uninsured Motorist Claim.

Ask your insurance adjuster if you had Uninsured Motorist Deductible Waiver. If you did, you'll get your $200.00 back.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">