• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Act of God?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

oharris

What is the name of your state? Florida :eek:
Five years ago a huge pecan tree on my property uprooted and fell across the road after a severe thunderstorm. At least one driver safely went around the tree and reported it down. Twenty minutes after the tree was reported down, a public official (State Trooper), exceeding 65mph in a posted 45 mph speed zone in the early morning fog, on a wet road, narrowly avoided hitting the tree. However, his excessive speed caused him to lose control of his vehicle and he crashed into my fenceline after jumping the ditch. (His accident cost me over $75,000 in lost timber revenue.) I chose not to sue. He had enough problems recovering from the accident and I was willing to forgive and forget. Now I find myself being sued for negligence. He wants millions! My attorney wants $60,000 to defend me. HELP! If this case goes to court and I win, I'll still be out $60,000 + $75,000 in lost timber. If he wins, my children and I will lose everything we have worked our entire lives for. Even if I win and countersue for the timber, he has nothing to reimburse me. This is a lose lose situation and my attorney doesn't seem to be looking out for my best interest. He wants to plea bargain and negotiate. My attorney never hired anyone to recreate the accident or to even examine the tree that fell. This was a green tree bearing pecans. I thought these circumstances were an act of God. What should I do?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">