• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Additional counsel truely needed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chelley62

What is the name of your state? Florida

Friends were involved in a 5 vehicle car pileup. The first vehicle stopped suddenly and the second & third vehicles stopped in time & the fourth rammed right into them causing them to subsequently hit the other. My friends were in a 5th vehicle that attempted to stop but did slightly hit the 4th, an SUV, but their bumper was barely dented. The whole front end of the 4th vehicle was smashed in from them hitting the rear of 3rd car, before the 5th vehicle hit them. The folks in the first 3 cars claimed whiplash & the ambulance, cops & fire trucks all responded. The driver of the 4th vehicle stated that my friends hit her & pushed HER into the other vehicles and because they were the last in the row, it was deemed their fault & was given a ticket for driving with undo care and attention. I don’t believe anyone was killed or seriously injured in the long term in this accident. They later went to court & it was determined, based on the evidence (barely dented bumper, etc) that he was not guilty of "Driving with undo care and attention" but they COULD have been guilty of "Following too close". That was never proven however and they were subsequently never cited for anything. They are still fighting this because they were still the last in line and they later found out the 4th vehicle had no insurance and is attempting to make them the scapegoat in the collision. My friend’s insurance company hired a lawyer & they are fighting this but the other day they received a letter from their insurance company in the mail stating:

"Due to the complex issues in this accident, ie liability, uninsured motorists and the number of potential plaintiffs involved in this collision, we must advise that the claims of all parties could exceed the one million third party liability coverage that you carry with us. You should contact independent legal counsel in this regard."

Now they are concerned about having to find the money to hire additional counsel. Given that they were found not guilty of the initial ticket and no ticket was eventually charged to them, is it likely that they will need to really do this? Is this just something an insurance company normally sends to follow up with them liability wise? They are reasonably concerned about the financial considerations of hiring an additional lawyer, but don't want to be "scared" into anything. Any advice regarding this is appreciated.

C

Chelley62

I know and that thread was deleted by the moderator due to rude answers by another board poster. I would like to know the answer for my friend. I don't think this is an uncommon occurance.

S

stupidme2

Oh, I see. I was wondering why I couldn't find it again!! People are rude on here!! My husband was in a similar situation a few years ago and he was rear ended and then hit the car in front of him. For whatever reason, the car he hit said she felt her car get hit before she heard his get hit so they ruled the whole thing his fault. Fortunately, the insurance took care of it in our case. Because you said that they already went to court, I assume that it has been a while since the accident. What I would do is just wait and see what the insurance companies of the other people's cars want. It's kind of their job to work things out I thought. As for outside legal advise. This is NOT the website to get anything useful or even nice sometimes!! Somehow I am hooked, but I try to negate the rude people!! Anyways, my husband is allowed three free consultations with legal counsel a year through his company. Maybe your friend has this.

C

Chelley62

Thanks for relating your hubby's story- I actually have gotten good factual information in the past here- sorry you have not had the same experience. I already know that not all responders are nice or accurate and of course going to a LIVE laywer is preferred- just wanted my friend to get a better idea of what to expect or at least more advice on the subject as they were greatly concerned after getting the letter from the insurance company.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Your "friend" is a Canadian. The accident happened in Canada.

Canadian LAWS apply - - not Florida.

Why is it that you people think the laws are the same all over the world?

They're NOT!

We still won't assist Canadians.

IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lexxia

No, the accident DID NOT happen in Canada:rolleyes:

It asked where I was FROM not where the accident happened! Had you have been 'kinder' & more 'welcoming' perhaps I would have elaborated.

The accident happened in FLORDIA.

Save your comments please. :rolleyes:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lexxia said:
No, the accident DID NOT happen in Canada:rolleyes:

It asked where I was FROM not where the accident happened!

===================================

My response:

No, the question was "What is the name of your State" - - not where are you "from". You also stated "Canada".

We're NOT helping CANADIANS, period.
IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

realscifiwarrio said:
IAAL,

You ran from the thread you started this Canadians are cowards crap. Care to continue the debate so you can continue to show your ignorance? Care to show the people on this thread what a bigot you are? Opps you have already done that.

My response:

What's an "Opps"? Did you mean "Oops", idiot?

By the way, I don't need to debate with you. I've already won. Did the Canadian receive an answer? No. You see, that was my point - - that she would not receive an answer.

I certainly hope our Canadian idiot writer suffers.

As for being a bigot, I think you had better look up the definition because you're using it incorrectly.

IAAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">