• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adjuster doesn't answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Syd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

A person drove out of a Waffle House parking lot and slammed into the side of my daughter's car early last week. That person received a ticket, supplied insurance info, and that evening we agreed to work through his insurance. No one was hurt and it was obvious who was at fault.

I had to wait 48 hours for an adjuster to be assigned, and received his name and number last Thursday. Every day I have called and emailed him and on and on... but he doesn't return calls or emails. The body shop holding the car wanted to try so they tried to get a hold of him all day today with the same results. I was forced to get a rental on my own because trying to get my daughter and me to work was crazy.

I called the company's claim office who then transferred me once again, to this adjuster who doesn't answer his phone or return calls.

What is a reasonable time to wait before I do something else and what would that be?

Thanks

Edit: I own and insure the car if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

A person drove out of a Waffle House parking lot and slammed into the side of my daughter's car early last week. That person received a ticket, supplied insurance info, and that evening we agreed to work through his insurance. No one was hurt and it was obvious who was at fault.

I had to wait 48 hours for an adjuster to be assigned, and received his name and number last Thursday. Every day I have called and emailed him and on and on... but he doesn't return calls or emails. The body shop holding the car wanted to try so they tried to get a hold of him all day today with the same results. I was forced to get a rental on my own because trying to get my daughter and me to work was crazy.

I called the company's claim office who then transferred me once again, to this adjuster who doesn't answer his phone or return calls.

What is a reasonable time to wait before I do something else and what would that be?

Thanks

Edit: I own and insure the car if that makes a difference.
The reasonable thing is to contact you insurance company and let them handle it.

Otherwise, you could send a letter stating the facts and tell them if the adjuster does not get out by such and such a date you will have the vehicle repaired and sue their insured for damages. You don't have a duty to let their adjuster out, you just want to because it makes things easier to have them pay for the repairs.

ecmst12

Thursday before a holiday weekend until today....yeah that's pretty much no time at all. Your expectations are unrealistic. If your car is able to be driven safely, you should keep driving it until they are able to get an estimate done, if not then a rental is reasonable but make sure you're not renting the most expensive car you can find. The quickest way to proceed would of course be to use your own collision coverage to get your car repaired and let your insurance company pursue the other driver for you, if you have the coverage. Otherwise you will need to wait for them to investigate which could in theory take up to 30 days or in some cases even longer. Hopefully it won't, but it's basically been 2 business days since the adjuster was assigned, so you will need to have a little more patience.

Syd

At 5:40 I received an email notification and it was from the adjuster.

Anyway, I'm relieved. The body shop started calling me today to find out what was going on and to call the adjuster themselves, but all I could tell them was that I was waiting. It's actually been three business days since I was trying to contact him Thursday as well. And, I was told if I used my insurance company, AAA, and let them recoup the money, it would be considered a hit on my insurance. And finally, the car isn't drivable because part of the hit struck the driver's side tire and tilted it sideways.

Thank you for your responses.

Silverplum

At 5:40 I received an email notification and it was from the adjuster.

Anyway, I'm relieved. The body shop started calling me today to find out what was going on and to call the adjuster themselves, but all I could tell them was that I was waiting. It's actually been three business days since I was trying to contact him Thursday as well. And, I was told if I used my insurance company, AAA, and let them recoup the money, it would be considered a hit on my insurance. And finally, the car isn't drivable because part of the hit struck the driver's side tire and tilted it sideways.

Thank you for your responses.
Golly gee.

I've never taken a couple of extra days off around a holiday weekend. Nobody ever should.

:rolleyes:

ecmst12

It will NOT be counted as a "hit" on your insurance since you were not at fault and your insurance should be able to recover anything they pay out plus your deductible. But if things are proceeding as planned now, you don't have to worry about it either way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">