• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is adjuster fooling me? PLEASE READ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AttorneyPlease

What is the name of your state? TN, but was living across border in VA when accident happened June 18, 2003.

This is a case I had posted at www.LegalMatch.com for about a week, with no answers........

First let me say, I am in the process of moving to the TN side of Bristol, and with so much going on, I almost settled with $1800 pain/suffering + paid medical (I would have to pay my $250+ prescriptions out of that).....But, I really feel that this adjuster is being unfair.
Accident happened like so....I pulled out from the light going straight, got up to approx 25mph & she, in an Expedition, pulled out right in front of me. There was, maybe, a car distance between us when she pulled out in front of me. Hitting her was like hitting a brick wall. (Everyone had seatbelts on.) My fiances car totalled, airbags exploded, I was shocked. Her Expedition had nothing but a small dent on the right, rear fender wall, and scratches on the hub cap. It was definately determined her fault & police made reports. She was able to drive away easy. I couldn't drive for weeks and still am very tense when riding in a vehicle. Even had nightmares that awoke me, startled, for a while. I am still in pain (Lower back pain, Upper back pain, Neck pain, Headaches, Difficulty sleeping), therapy doesn't help, my prescriptions don't help, I am unable to conduct some everyday tasks without worse pain. I have 4 children, 2 of which are young and don't understand why mom can't pick them up as usual. I've had to see doctors/therapist & really should still be, but I have soooo much going on right now (moving, divorce from 6 year seperation, kids school things, appts....just imagine.) It seems more of an inconvenience and waste of valuable time, considering the therapy creates more pain and I would refuse surgery if ever offered. Doctors did x-rays, but say whiplash symptoms. Should it still hurt?
Basically I need advice on my options. Should I settle with the offered settlement, demand more, take it to court? I just don't know what to do. Is my case worth taking to court?

Case difficulty:
*The insurance adjuster had me sign a paper on 29th Aug. to free the insurance company from any more medical after Oct. 18, 2003. The limit is $7500.
*He also had me sign a paper (the same day) to allow access to my medical records, but only for the purpose of "getting my bills" so he can "get them paid", which none have been paid yet. (The paper did not state that it was only for specific dates or issues; HE stated "just concerning the accident visits".)
*The totalled car, my fiance's, has been settled. (Of course for less than worth)
*My mother's case, (front passenger with me) was settled for $800 pain/suffering + over $500 medical paid. She had to wear a brace on her arm 2 weeks...badly bruised/swollen wrist. Doctor said, could be fractured under all the swelling, but hard to tell.

MORE FACTS:
No work missed
$3105.52 medical bills
There are witnesses, but they would need to be contacted at Taco Bell. There are employees who witnessed the accident.

NOW, the update......

I talked with the adjuster over the phone this morning. I told him I think it's only fair that I get the same amount for pain and suffering as my medical bills are. He said I was certainly entitled to my opinion, but the same offer stands. I then told him I will be contacting my lawyer. He said "well that's not going to raise the amount" & "have him contact me".

Now, my question is the same as above......in your opinion, what should I do? :confused:

A

AttorneyPlease

Thank you.....I have since contacted an attorney, whom should be contacting me first thing tomorrow.

....But, in the meantime, I have recieved a letter from the adjuster stating:

Dear *** ****,

As we discussed on 10/3/2003, I have offered you $2050 plus paying your 6/22/2003 bills totalling $2803 from ***** and *****, and the three visits to physical therapy (when the bills have been provided). This would be total payments to you and for you by Nationwide of $4853, plus payment for the physical therapy charges.

Please be advised that we will make good this offer until 10/24/2003. If we have not heard from you by this time, our offer will be revoked.

Thank you, and I hope we can resolve this matter in the near future.

********(Insurance Company Name & agent name/phone)...

........Ok......you know my medical bills came to over $3000. Yet, now, he (agent) is offering to pay only SOME bills and $2050 for pain and suffering....in which I must pay my $250 prescriptions out of AND 2 other doctor bills! Is this agent crazy or what??

Another thing......when I signed that "medical release" I was under the influence of my meds AND he waited until my fiance (witness) was out of the room to tend to our young child before he introduced it quickly. Honestly, I didn't understand what I was signing and he gave me NO time to read the paper. What I need to know is.....do I have a case?

A

AttorneyPlease

Sorry to bother again, but I failed to mention (or ask), isn't there some technicallity that would revoke that "medical release" I signed, being as I was under the influence of my meds?

Thanks to all, in advance....Peace + love to you

drago

If you don't have time to read a paper then you don't have time to sign it.

To everyone reading this; don't ever sign anything you don't understand. Think of it as putting an attorney out of work.

AttorneyPlease, see my original post and don't have contact with the insurance company.

A

AttorneyPlease

Concerning my rights...

Thank you drago, but I am actually looking for more precise information. I didn't get a copy of that form I signed, and honestly since I was medicated, I am unsure of exactly what was contained in that form. I heard from another source that the release may be null and void, due to the fact that I was under the influence of my medications, and the insurance agent knew this.

Beside the point, I have two other questions concerning my rights:

1. Do I have a right to receive copies of the agents records concerning my case or does an actual attorney have to request these? (I know I have a right to any paperwork I may have signed, but what about other things in the file, such as the recordings of our meetings?)

2. During the meeting, the agent stated that he would go ahead and pay 2 major bills, which he kept. Since then, he has not paid or even attempted to pay those bills. Due to this, my medical insurance has had to pay partial payments, which I have to pay back to them after the settlement. This has caused many misunderstandings and frustration between the "Medical Service" companies and myself concerning those bills. Furthermore, since that meeting the agent has stated that he is not allowed to pay any bills until this case is settled. Is this true?

3. At this point, I could care less about the money (to an extent), but want the authorities to know exactly the unfair practices this agent is conducting, including misinformation. Would it be wise to file a report before settlement, or should I wait until after. My thoughts are gearing towards contacting the Insurance commissioner through NAIC. There are sveral codes I've researched that this agent has broken.

All responses appreciated

A

AttorneyPlease

Re: Contact a personal injury lawyer immediately

AttorneyPlease, see my original post and don't have contact with the insurance company.
Sorry Drago, I meant to respond to this specific statement. I have consulted with 2 seperate attorneys; neither think my case is worth there time/money, (although neither knows all the facts). They are, I guess, what I would call BIG attorneys, who take BIG cases. In your opinion, and anyone else who will kindly give theirs, (especially an attorneys opinion, which I understand will be a personal opinion), do I have a case? Or should I continue trying to deal with this on my own? I have, so far, only had contact with the insurance agent to respectfully get his offer on recorder with his knowledge and permission. I am currently working on a letter to send to him denying his offer. Am I really at the mercy of this company? How long can I put this off?

Thanks again

Stressed, exhausted, and in pain for life....

drago

No need to apologize.

It's tough when your case doesn't seem big enough for an attorney to consider. But the insurance company is your enemy and they will not forget that, nor should you.

There's not simple answers to your questions that can be dealt with on an internet forum. Several qualified attorneys here would have already responded if specific answers were possible.

Try organizing your case in an abbreviated form. Then contact your local bar association for help in finding an attorney that hates insurance companies. There is one here where I live ( California) and he is willing to 'deal' on his fees.

Don't let the *******s grind you down. This is your fight and there is a lawyer willing to help. Go find him/her.

lwpat

Insurance adjusters and collection agencies are never your "friend" and you cannot trust them. Never sign or agree to anything without fully knowing your rights which they will either not tell you or misrepresent.

You have a case especially with the continuing problems and inability to perform normal tasks. The adjuster knows this which is why they are so eager to get you to settle. Try finding an attorney through the link on this site. If no one is listed in your area send me an email and I will forward some other resources.

It is up to you or a court to decide what is a fair settlement, not the adjuster. He has alreday take advantage of your fiance and your mother and probably bragging about it to the others in the office.

A

AttorneyPlease

Try organizing your case in an abbreviated form. Then contact your local bar association for help in finding an attorney that hates insurance companies. There is one here where I live ( California) and he is willing to 'deal' on his fees.
Don't let the *******s grind you down. This is your fight and there is a lawyer willing to help. Go find him/her.
Drago, thank you for your advice and understanding. You really have helped more than you realize. Most importantly, you made me smile through all this mess!

Try finding an attorney through the link on this site. If no one is listed in your area send me an email and I will forward some other resources.
Iwpat, thank you for your response as well. I did check for an attorney on this site, and there is one in the area. But, I think I will take you up on your offer to email me some resources.

Thanks again and I will keep you and drago posted...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">