• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adjuster says if we do not accept his offer we must pay the storage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caratuco

Missouri.
My wife and I were rear-ended. The other driver's insurance company is offering much less than the car is worth -according to Kelly Blue Book, etc.
First, I have tried to negotiate but he won't budge, is there any other recourse besides taking them to court? And second, the adjuster has taken the stance "either take it or leave it", and now he is trying to say that I will have to pay the storage costs because I do not agree with his amount, is this true?
Thanks

ST516

Coming from experience here.

The insurance company only has to offer you Fair Market Value for your car. They DO NOT go by Kelley Blue Book or Nada. They use their own database that is available for insurance companies only. You can figure out what a "fair" price for your car is by locating several cars that are the same make, year, mileage etc and averaging them out, try a car selling website like cars.com.

Also, this is what Gap coverage is for, so that if your car is totaled at least you will not come out in the negative. Good Luck.

moburkes

Coming from experience here.

The insurance company only has to offer you Fair Market Value for your car. They DO NOT go by Kelley Blue Book or Nada. They use their own database that is available for insurance companies only. You can figure out what a "fair" price for your car is by locating several cars that are the same make, year, mileage etc and averaging them out, try a car selling website like cars.com.

Also, this is what Gap coverage is for, so that if your car is totaled at least you will not come out in the negative. Good Luck.
You were doing well until the gap coverage. Gap coverage means nothing when you are talking about what a vehicle is worth. Gap somly pays the difference between what you owe and the actual cash value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">