• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

filmbuffy

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire.

Summer of 2004 I was hit head-on, entirely the fault of the other drive. We have just settled with the other drivers insurance and my lawyer is resolving (paying) all of my outstanding medical bills with the exception of bills that were picked up by my health insurance and one of my hospital stays. My lawyer recommends that we do not pursue contacting the hospital or my health care provider at this time b/c if there was an issue going forward, we would have the next recovery amount in order to negotiate with the hospital in order to reduce the lien at that time, to the extent that one exists. Is this a wise move? What are the chances of these costs coming back and biting me in the butt in years to come?

JETX

filmbuffy said:
What is the name of your state? New Hampshire.

Summer of 2004 I was hit head-on, entirely the fault of the other drive. We have just settled with the other drivers insurance and my lawyer is resolving (paying) all of my outstanding medical bills with the exception of bills that were picked up by my health insurance and one of my hospital stays. My lawyer recommends that we do not pursue contacting the hospital or my health care provider at this time b/c if there was an issue going forward, we would have the next recovery amount in order to negotiate with the hospital in order to reduce the lien at that time, to the extent that one exists. Is this a wise move? What are the chances of these costs coming back and biting me in the butt in years to come?
HUH?? Why in the hell would your attorney advise you to avoid paying those bills. Simply makes no sense. Once you have the settlement from the insurance company, that 'pot is empty'. You can't go back and ask for more.... so why delay??

Also, it is very likely that your insurance company will come back to you for reimbursement of the bills that they paid on YOUR behalf.... that you recovered from the other insurance settlement. So, you need to make sure that you have at least enough in reserve to pay them (hold it for a few years) AND the hospital bill(s).

filmbuffy

Now you know why I'm nervous! I will have to voice my concern with my lawyer next time we meet. Luckily, we've only settled with the other guys insurance, we haven't even gone to arbitration (sp?)/court with my insurance. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">