• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on Auto Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chaben4

What is the name of your state? Texas

Accident in Colorado where a driver rear-ended my daugthers vehicle and pushed it into a third vehicle. Our car has front and rear damage and the air bags deployed making it un-driveable. The driver of the front vehicle has hired an attorney and so far has refused to make a statment to the insurance company which won't proceed with our claim nor provide a rental vehicle until the investigation is complete.

What are my options or what can I do to get this resolved? My daughter is only 19 and we can't get her a rental unless it is a direct bill from the insurance company and after two weeks nothing has happened.

Last edited:

moburkes

The person in the front vehicle is required to cooperate with his/her insurance company. Have you spoken to their adjuster?

ecmst12

Does she have rental car coverage on her own insurance? If so, she can use that. Anyway, it's the REAR driver's insurance who should be taking care of everything since that's who's at fault for the accident.

chaben4

Does she have rental car coverage on her own ...

Yes

but I was trying to avoid filing a claim with our insurance. At this point I guess I will go that route since I just found out that the rear driver who caused the accident has already had her car repaired and her insurance company has not been able to contact the attorney for the front vehicle's driver so no interview has even been scheduled. My initial contact from the rear drivers' adjuster was that this shouldn't be a big deal since both the rear driver and our driver both agreed on the events of the accident but with the inability to get a statement from the third vehicle I can see no reason for them to do anything to help us or any incentive to get this resolved quickly. Ameriprise has not been very helpful.

moburkes

Yes

but I was trying to avoid filing a claim with our insurance. At this point I guess I will go that route since I just found out that the rear driver who caused the accident has already had her car repaired and her insurance company has not been able to contact the attorney for the front vehicle's driver so no interview has even been scheduled. My initial contact from the rear drivers' adjuster was that this shouldn't be a big deal since both the rear driver and our driver both agreed on the events of the accident but with the inability to get a statement from the third vehicle I can see no reason for them to do anything to help us or any incentive to get this resolved quickly. Ameriprise has not been very helpful.
The accident was not her fault. There is no reason, especially when you've waited for 2 weeks, to not get them involved, unless you don't have collision coverage on that vehicle.

ecmst12

Other then hiring an attorney, involving her own insurance company is the easiest/quickest way to give the at-fault driver's insurance company a kick in the pants to get them moving. And even if that doesn't work, she'll still be able to get her car repaired NOW and get a rental car NOW and she'll just have to wait to get her deductible back. Nothing is going to be charged against her by her insurance company because she was not at fault and her insurance will get all their money back eventually.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">