• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice needed - sued over an accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

need_help

What is the name of your state? Virginia

We just received a suit paper over an automotive accident happened two years ago. Thanks to our insurance company (State Farm) who warned us about this suit beforehand. My isurance company told me that they might sue us to get an extesion (about one more year) to settle the case since Virginia requires all cases to be settled within 2 years of the date of the accident.

What surprized us the most is the amount they indicate in the suit paper. It is way way beyond my insurance limit which is pretty high already. If they get what they want, I wil definitely go broke.

My question is how serious I should take it with regarding to the amount they want. Should I get a attorney of my own, in addition to my isurance company's, to limit the out-of-pocket expense from us?

The accident was not serious by my view, I was making a left turn and collided with her car at about 20-25 mph. My then 3-year-old son was in my car, he and I had no injury at all. The paintiff claimed to have injury to neck and shoulder, and lost of income. But half million dollars is just too much for that. I figure she is just trying to milk the maximum out of it by making it last for more than 2 years.

I would appreciate your advice. I am in a panic mode now...

ecmst12

Don't panic. Your insurance company will provide you with a lawyer, who should be able to give you a better idea about what the chances of the case even going to trial are. PI lawyers always ask for more then they think they can get, easier to negotiate down then up!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">