• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

advice please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

microcist

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I was issued a citation to appear in court due to not having my insurance on me when i was pulled over. I did not make the court and had a warrent out for my arrest. Now they have sent me a letter stating that i owe the court 500 dollars or to go to court. I do not have the money and was seeking advice to what to do or say in court to lessen the fine. Thank You David Le

P

ProResearch

If you had insurance at the time, you would have went to court, yes? Since you did not go to court to respond to the summons, you took the court's time and incurred expenses.

Now you must pay the $500 (plus it will get more expensive if you do not respond this time).

Whenever you have a court date, whether you think you are guilty or not, you should show up and explain the situation.

If you do not, *they* will keep tacking on more money as court costs and you may even have to pay more for fines. Be responsible and respond to the summons by showing up in court. This does not go away....... If you do not have the money now, make some kind of payment arrangement with the court.

Ooohh yeah, have you *even* talked with an attorney -- who might talk to the prosecutor -- who might get the charges or fines lowered?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">