• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After accident insurance paid car rental time period limits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HeresPaco

What is the name of your state? New York

After being in an accident caused by another person, their insurance company paid for me to have a rental car. How long after I recieve a payment for my car does their insurance company by law have to provide me with the rental car that gives me time to find a new car to drive?
Also how long does their insurance company have to pay for storage charges of my wrecked car at the towing company? I recieved a letter today from their insurance company stating that my car is considered totaled and that I must have my car moved to my home or another free place of storage as they are declaring themselves no longer liable for storage costs... at this time I have not recieved payment for my totaled car and have no idea what that payment will be and I am still driving the rental car.
I need the payment for my wrecked car to be able to purchase another car even. How long do they have to allow me storage fees for my wrecked car and pay for a rental car until I can find another one?

In most states, once you are paid for the claim the clock stops ticking on rental and storage fees. They are not required to give you any time drive around looking for a new car. You obviously have a computer, so, start shopping via the internet.

Most likely any total loss settlement will involve the company keeping and disposing of your vehicle.

Good luck.

H

HeresPaco

Thank you John.
I have also just been told by a friendly local insurance company agent that they must pay for both, my rental and storage until I recieve payment and sign over my car to them if I wish to (I can deduct what they are being offered for it's salvage value from my payment and keep the car if I wish and they must show proof of the salvage yard's offer if I request it).
I have also been told they may be required, after I've recieved their payment, to give me at least 5 days car rental and maybe more to find a car comparable to my wrecked one for the money.

Thank you for your information! I feel less at someone elses mercy now.

J

josephw

HeresPaco,

I am also in NY and was involved in an accident caused by someone else. I have posted a message on this forum and would appreciate if you could check it out and give me any advice you think I could use to make my life a little easier. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">